• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Male Monsters

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The original Medusa was female and a unique creature - most of the Greek mythos monsters were unique individuals, creations of the gods. In D&D they work better as races, but original they were not races. There were 3 brother cyclops created by Poseidon, but they seem to be the only ones. Poseidon created many/most of the Greek monsters, I believe.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Those are weird assumptions about the Gnolls, having in consideration that, lately, they are depicted as hyena-folk. Hyenas being a VERY matriarchal society, with females being bigger, smarter and more aggressive than males.

What place do sexless monsters (like plants and aberrations) have on the campaign?

SteelDraco

First Post
So far plants and aberrations haven't really featured in the game - haven't really felt the loss of 'em. There's a lot of monsters out there and they don't all have to show up much in every campaign. Most of our opponents have been humanoids, monstrous humanoids, or appropriate minions. Lots of political stuff between human nations.

We fought harpies, centaurs, and minotaurs in a wild region between powerful nations. I think the gnolls were in the same wilderness area.

One nation has a dragon theme and we fought humans, draconic critters, a few constructs (warrior constructs made from dragon's teeth), and some undead near the end. Also a terror goat.

Another nation is heavily religious, with a military theocracy. We fought through a dungeon that featured monsters used as special forces, like grimlocks acting as basilisk handlers, as well as the humans that kept the place.

Aramax

First Post
If I recall correctly, early Greek mythology implied that centaurs are all male. Later writing introduced a few females. I'm too lazy at the moment to go to the shelf that has the Pathfinder Bestiary, but I assume that it assumes female centaurs to exist.

Back in the '80s, Roger Moore wrote a some articles about the humanoid races trying to flavor them up and differentiate them some. He added a twist to gnolls that I've always thought was cool; female gnolls have a genetic oddity that makes them about as intelligent as domestic animals. If a DM adopted this, all the gnolls that play a role in the plot are most likely to be male. (Moore's article also stated that the typical male gnoll, being no genius either, has a hard time wrapping his head around the idea that females of other species are equals to their males, would tend to severely underestimate female characters. I really, really like that.)
Total rip off of Larry Nivens alien Kzin race from many books

SSuser

Explorer
What place do sexless monsters (like plants and aberrations)

Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees; And the flowers and the trees. Plants are not sexless. Many are hermaphroditic, having all necessary reproductive parts, including stamens, carpels, and an ovary. There are also types of hermaphroditic plants that have separate male and female flowers. Conversely, a plant may contain a single reproductive unit that is either functionally male or functionally female.

Last edited:

Squire James

First Post
Total rip off of Larry Nivens alien Kzin race from many books

More "borrowing" than "total rip off". There are plenty of differences between gnolls and kzin that borrowing a single idea does not constitute a "total rip off". For instance, I think the two races would react quite differently if they met an "impossible female" of their respective race.

Actually, I favor the idea that gnoll females are actually MUCH smarter than gnoll males, and they have successfully convinced the males and most outsiders that they are non-sentient. They're still Chaotic Evil conniving witches (perhaps literally), and they are the "shadow rulers" of the gnoll clans.

Remove ads