• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Malibu Stacey has a new hat!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I don't not like 4e. Most of my don't like is directed at Wizards right now, and not because they chose to release 4e next may, but because of the Magazines, and because they lied to us concerning the release date.

satori01

First Post
haakon1 said:
Perhaps, like Lisa, I should see what Malibu Stacey's original creator is doing, and check out C&C?

Gary Gygax has a venerated place in my heart. I would love to play a game with Gary, I imagine he would be a fun DM, and one that is good on the fly. Is Gary the best designer out there? Methinks the answer would be a no.

If 4E is legitimately better than I will switch. If it is not then I will not. I like the idea of the DI myself. In all cases it is not mandatory but web based applications make life easier if you are playing on the go.

As for the new hat phenomenon, have we not already seen that w/ 3.5. Like many people I like RPG books, and when I look at my overflowing collection of 3.5 books, some of which are great, & quite a few of which I waited until used copies were available, I think the "Malibu Stacey " element is already in play.......just look at the message boards everytime a new book comes out.

The key to 4E for me, (Designers please take note), is to have the release of the first supplements already planned out and guarantee the content will be good. It still galls me that the original 3e splat books (sword & fist etc) were so bad, and basically people had to rebuy them for 3.5.

RigaMortus2

First Post
DragonLancer said:
I know for me this is a minor issue that does irritate me. One point of an RPG is the social aspect of sitting around a table with a holf dozen other people interacting in person. Thats a key component of RPG's IMO and stripping that away to make it a "computer game" is the wrong way to go.

You are right about it being a social experience, but I don't think "sitting around a table" is the one and only true way to play D&D. At least not in this day and age. Certinaly it is a very important aspect, and one that the game was built on/around. But as technology increases, so do the ways of interacting. We have a player (a personal friend I've grown up with) who moved across states and he plays with us every week via webcam. It's great. Like buying the new 4E product, using the internet for D&D gaming is just another option that can be ignored or utilized as you see fit. No reason for this aspect to irrate anyone.

Dire Bare

Legend
haakon1 said:
So who doesn't like 4e? Is it bad because they're taking away our books and dice and making us play on computers?

For those who have been paying attention to the 4e news all over this site and others, it's quite clear that Wizards is not "taking away our books and dice and making us play on computers".

They have stated repeatedly that the focus of 4e is on the physical products of D&D books and the D&D miniatures. D&D Insider, the web component, is akin to the "second disk" in a Special Edition DVD, it has all the extras.

So, when 4e rolls out, will you be able to play the game without owning a computer? Yes, completely. I'm personally sure that you'll even be able to play without miniatures, if that's your preference, although we'll have to wait and see on that one.

I'm not saying that everyone should be as excited for 4e as I am, but if you are going to complain, let's not make up things to complain about, hey?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
haakon1 said:
Or is there really nothing to be grumpy about? That seems unlikely. :(

At the moment, none of your stated reasons seem terribly solid. They are not making us play with computers - please stop spreading that rumor. And until we see the design, we cannot say that it just a "new hat" on the old stuff.

MadMaxim

First Post
I'm interested in seeing how 4th edition turns out, but it seems kind of weird to me to release a new version of a system that has been upgraded relatively recently with the 3.5 edition. Considering how long the previous editions lasted, I find it surprising that the designers already think they can make a much better game than they've already made. It smells a bit like a 3.75 edition disguised as 4th edition. I just think they're rushing 4th edition compared to previous editions. I don't think the designers have received enough feedback and played enough campaigns to truly realize what the game needs to be more streamlined.

For one thing I'm going to be very annoyed if they do away with monster advancement by HD and/or class levels, because that gives the DM less legitimate room within the rules to customize the monsters. If every monster has to fill some sort of defined "role" will we ever see something like a troll cleric ever again, or will it just be a troll that is worth 500 XP?

Secondly, I don't like the fact that magic item creation is going to be more "free form". Maybe it's because I like math, but I want to be able to find the paragraphs in the books that say, boots of striding and springing cost this much. That means they'll take X amount of days to make because of that value instead of a DM having to wing it. The rules will lack consistency in my mind. I know a lot of people will likely be thrilled by this aspect of 4th edition, but I'm just stating my opinion on the matter.

Thirdly, if alignment isn't going to be clear any longer, will the paladin never be able to smite evil again? I'm not saying the current alignment system is flawless, but I much prefer it compared to something more loose with no in-game effects whatsoever. Considering that the forces of good, evil, law and chaos are very tangible in D&D (the different outer planes), I find it hard to see how this can move the game in a better direction.

These are just some of the problems I'm afraid will come up at some point, or maybe it's just me being an old grognard about the only edition that I've played ;)

Remove ads