Level Up (A5E) Mama Bear's Revenge: How did your players solve it (or not)?

Selganor

Adventurer
I've run Mama Bear's Revenge as an intro adventure in our rpg club 5 times now (the last three times were a friday to sunday "one run per day") and it seems like it never was the same.
All groups consisted to a varying number of the "official" pregens with also varying knowledge of D&D (5e or older editions) by the players from "never played ttrpgs before" to "I played almost every edition of (a)d&d for some time".

Needless to say: SPOILERS! for the adventure. If you decide to play it go and play it and then come back and tell us how you did.

First group:
Gwyven (played by someone who at most played 1-2 rpg sessions before if any)
Akanni
Orla
??? (I'm asking Orla's player about the others)

Second group:
T'lingbet
Diamond
(and since both players seemed quite new Barkley ordered Lewin to join them)

Third group:
Nox
Akanni
???

Fourth group:

Zidi
Orla

Fifth group:
Akanni
Krarg
Diamond

A note to my "modifications" and observations on the adventure:
  • I let them detect a first pit trap on the way to the camp with their passive perception (and everyone kept Evan Goldwood from blindly walking into it) so they had some indication that things are strange even before seeing the camp
  • I removed the encounter with the eagles (while climbing) completely, partly due to timing reasons (we usually have 3-4 hours in total and sometimes the players needed the first hour to choose and read their characters and get a short briefing into the rules) and also due to Chatter probably convincing his "cousins" to let these people through so they may be able to solve the problem
  • so far nobody looked for another way into the cave
  • I let the wolf hang back until there was a clear
  • to justify this big magical effect I declared the exact place where Fanghort was to be an almost crossing of ley lines and his body (still "charged" with his last act of magic) somehow managed to connect them and this was able to flood his "domain" with this magic.

I just noticed that I am missing a few details that might be filled in later

First group
Had no big problems with Chatter and the river but when they met the guards they didn't waste any time and dispatched them in one round. They then proceeded to the cave (barely stopping for the tree) and with the combined social competence managed to talk an angry bear into letting them solve the problem

Second group
T'lingbet got absolutely traumatized by talking animals (and the tree) but just packed everything that shouldn't get wet and swam it over the river. Guards weren't a problem either but the bear was an epic fight with a well placed shield bash (with a certain hit due to Diamond's vision) that brought her down before her next hit would probably have downed him

More later

Remove ads