• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mamacat's helpful hints for gaming with couples with or without kids

Jack99

Adventurer
Is what legal, spanking? Or spanking someone else's kid? The answers, in that order, are yes technically, and no technically.

Spanking - the other kid part is so far out, that I don't even want to contemplate that any "normal" people would actually consider it.

Anyway, just asking, since it is illegal to spank (or hit if you will) children around here, and greatly frowned upon by most people. Then again, you live in a country where it is a right to own a gun, and where your government kills people that break the law. I do not know why I am surprised. I bet they hit their children in Uganda as well..

Arnwyn

First Post
I can feel sorry for him even if he is happy the way things are. I never said not sharing interests was a psychological dysfunction, it's just not the way I work, so I'm projecting my own feelings into it.
Yep! No harm no foul (just as I feel sorry for you!).

1) Kids are a hassle. Yes, they're wonderful and adorable, and they make your life so much better in ways that non-parents can't understand, and etc etc etc. They also make a mess in the bathroom, need to be driven everywhere, etc etc etc. That latter part is a hassle. Worth it? Yes. But still a hassle.
That's what I meant by having a different definition of hassle. To my mind, if something is really worth doing then it's not a hassle. I was using hassle in the sense of something you don't want to do, but have to, with the benefits not being worth the effort. So we really agree about the kids.

How do I convert my girlfriend to gaming? Before we have kids? ;)
You don't. You unleash the gamer girl inside her. If it isn't there, she'll never really game. Sure, she might attend a few sessions. But if it isn't inside her already waiting to be revealed, you won't convert her. I suppose certain cult indoctrination techniques and/or mind control drugs could allow for conversion but I doubt that's legal. :)

You don't. You unleash the gamer girl inside her. If it isn't there, she'll never really game. Sure, she might attend a few sessions. But if it isn't inside her already waiting to be revealed, you won't convert her.
Truth. For my wife it all started with the Lord of the Rings movies. When she fell in love with them the inner geek finally started to come out.

portermj

First Post
What is wrong with getting a babysitter if the kids aren't old enough to play or entertain themselves?

It is telling that the majority of this thread is about how single or childless gamers should accommodate couples with children and not about how parents who want to game should accommodate players without children.

I think that a lot of people don't stop being selfish when they become parents, they just become a socially acceptable type of selfish.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Then again, you live in a country where it is a right to own a gun, and where your government kills people that break the law. I do not know why I am surprised.

Yes, well I am surprised at you, Jack. You've been around for a long time, and you should know darned well that politics are not an acceptable topic around here. Please, leave that sort of commentary out of your post next time.

jfilesi

Explorer
It is telling that the majority of this thread is about how single or childless gamers should accommodate couples with children and not about how parents who want to game should accommodate players without children.

I think is a byproduct of who is likely to be reading and posting in this thread - gamers with kids and gamers whose group includes parents. If you have any advice for the parenting group I'm sure they'd be willing to discuss your point of view as well.

Here are a couple of "rules" I would advise for parents as examples. Keep in mind, I am a single person without kids of my own whose current group includes 4 couples, 2 of which who have young children, so some of this is from my personal experience and some is from what the parents have told me about other unmarried non-parents they've played with in the past.

1. Don't apologize for your kids acting like kids. Sure, if the kids are acting particularly troublesome one session an apologize is okay. In general though, apologizing because your children is asking for something or needs some quick attention is unnecessary. If basic parenting bothered me, I can discuss alternative arrangements with you personally or find another group to game with. (I realize that can read as snarky but that's not the intent in which I mean it to come off, I just can't think of better phrasing at this time.)

2. Make allowances for the fact those who do not have kids are not parents and sometimes make mistakes when interacting with your children. For instance, we can forget that kids tend to put small objects in their mouths when they show interest in our dice or miniatures. We don't also know the snack rules or we sometimes to forget to ask permission if your child asks us for some snacks. If we see your child about to do something dangerous or troublesome we may spontaneously yell out "Hey!" or "(Interest child's name here)!" to get both their attention and your attention.

3. Unless you really want our uninformed opinion on parenting or how we think we'll behave as parents, please don't ask us. We're approaching the topic from a distance when anything we may say is undoubtedly of personal significance to you. For instance, any conversation we have about how we would discipline our children is speculative for us whereas you are having to make real, concrete decisions with immediate actions and consequences on the same topic.

4. Finally, don't be afraid to have a limited conversation regarding parenting with the other parents in the group during downtime. We won't feel alienated as we often talk to certain members of the group about interests, work, people, etc. that are not shared by everyone. Both parents and non-parents should remember to keep these types of conversations limited though.

All that said, I really enjoy having the kids around in our current group as they exude an infectious energy that is currently lacking in the other areas of my life right now.

Jack99

Adventurer

Yes, well I am surprised at you, Jack. You've been around for a long time, and you should know darned well that politics are not an acceptable topic around here. Please, leave that sort of commentary out of your post next time.

Yeah, sorry. My feelings on the subject got the better of me. Won't happen again.

Remove ads