• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Man of Steel sequel writer insults geeks and says other things

Nobody here has shown signs of notable anger. Nobody here is "raving". The only exclamation point I see was on the comical "I liked Sucker Punch!"

So, the point's kind of lost, here.

I was speaking generally about recent internet history, but on review you are right, this thread shows a definite lack of real outrage.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anyhoo, it's also incredibly likely the guy was trying to make a joke. Does anyone remember what jokes are? Like, anyone?

Yes. It would help if what he said were, I dunno - funny, maybe? "Ha, ha, geeks don't get laid!" isn't really much of a joke, now is it? Doesn't exactly show amazing wit. :erm:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Yes. It would help if what he said were, I dunno - funny, maybe? "Ha, ha, geeks don't get laid!" isn't really much of a joke, now is it? Doesn't exactly show amazing wit. :erm:

Not every joke is funny. Life is kinda like that. Is 'why did the chicken cross the road' funny? Is it a joke?

Yes. It would help if
what he said were, I dunno - funny, maybe? "Ha, ha, geeks don't get laid!" isn't really much of a joke, now is it? Doesn't exactly show amazing wit. :erm:

If Louis CK did this at a comedy I would have been laughing. It was the context that drained it of humor I think.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm just so... tired... of the scheduled daily outrage over something somebody famous said. It's juts gotten too much now. Can we just agree that everybody will say something wrong at some point, and give the whole world a quick virtual dogpile now and get it over with?

Not really, no. Denying people their chance to call out jerks is, ultimately, worse than the jerk condition to begin with. You may get tired of reading about people's complaints, but you aren't a captive audience and can avoid these sorts of threads.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not really, no. Denying people their chance to call out jerks is, ultimately, worse than the jerk condition to begin with.

"Denying people"? Yikes, dude. That's really not what this was about. It was the start of a conversational discussion on how annoying the trend has become, not a legal movement.

Klirshon

First Post
It's disgusting. The folks that demand apologies are far worse than those forced to apologize...

On behalf of Mr. Torgue, that sentence had too many words. An apology is requested along with an air guitar solo.

As for David Goyer's comment, the sentiment seems to be that he isn't a good writer. That should be more concerning than his joke {insert explosion noise here}.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If Louis CK did this at a comedy I would have been laughing. It was the context that drained it of humor I think.

I think it goes the other way. It does not contain humor in and of itself. It is the context that puts humor into it - and it takes wit and effort to generate that context.

And that's where Zombie_Babies' point fails. If you don't use wit, and you don't even try to take the effort to generate the proper context, you aren't telling a joke.

Z_B misses something important - you cannot insult another person or people, and have it be a joke, if you are in the superior position. The person in power cannot look down at others, and publicly note their flaws, and stand safe on a pedestal, immune to repercussions. Louis CK understands this, and spends a lot of time in his routines making fun of himself, and his own demographics. He tries to make sure he isn't on a pedestal.

Goyer, did not do that. He took no effort to remove himself from the high-horse. He so clearly did not take the effort, that I don't think he was even *trying* to make a joke, but was instead making an ad hominem argument for why we should not listen to his detractors.

Remove ads