• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Map-making Tools

VannATLC

First Post
I know this is in something of the wrong section, but I'm building my new setting for 4e, and I was wondering if anybody can recommend some mapping tools.

I'm specifically looking for tools to map terrain and geography on a kilometre level, while I plan out the location of my cities, riverways, mountains, etc.

Any advice? I've got my sketch, but I want a software-based tool, so I can show heights an the like.

Nebulous

Legend
Dunjinni and Campaign Cartographer 3 are the most popular options out there i believe. The former is easier from what i understand, but the latter is more powerful and has more options.

Drammattex

First Post
I am a huge fan of Campaign Cartographer, by Profantasy.

Previous versions of the software have had a steep learning curve, but the latest is pretty easy to use. It's also very powerful, so there's a certain amount of depth to it. Think Photoshop: the basics are pretty straightforward, but the more you learn the more you can do.

Profantasy has been adding "annual" content in its CC3 Annual product, a subscription that provides new mapping material every month. The annual is invaluable to me because it allows me to create vastly different kinds of maps. Despite the powerful CC3 tools & symbols, the coolest game maps I've made have come from the very simple Mercator style maps found in the annual. I'll try to attach some samples.

www.profantasy.com

Attachments

• Drawn Map of North2.JPG
    Drawn Map of North2.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Sarah Wroot Experiment.JPG
    Sarah Wroot Experiment.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Kaelika.JPG
    Kaelika.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Hamanock Sample2.JPG
    Hamanock Sample2.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Tocs Morunge Shields.JPG
    Tocs Morunge Shields.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Astirlerond Fenlon.JPG
    Astirlerond Fenlon.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Drammattex

First Post
LowSpine said:
Are those Coat of arms generated through software, and if so can it go by proper heraldic rules. I'm a pedant.

- The tools to create them are part of the 2008 March Annual: http://sub.profantasy.com/2008/march08.html
Take a look at the gallery & click on the heraldry images to get a general idea of what you can do.

- They can go by proper heraldic rules, as pedantry dictates. Resources and general guidelines are provided (as well as the apology that the short mapping pdf cannot cover the breadth of detail inherent in traditional heraldry). Plus, there are some great online resources a Google search away.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16273/16273-h/16273-h.htm
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp/sId./kbId.10/title.Ordinaries+of+Heraldry/qx/knowledgebase.htm
http://www.modernheraldry.com/register.html
http://www.heraldryandcrests.com/heraldic_symbols.htm

- I have a basic knowledge of how heraldry works (the gutenberg link is a great resource), but my designs are from a fantasy world, so I take liberties in order to fit the feel of the campaign and the particular order of knights represented there. When I began creating the knights' shields, I started with the more traditional heraldry, then began using more charges and dividing up the shields as I wished (since before I knew the rules I had described the knights' shields a certain way -- over years of campaign). What you see here are the shields of certain realms; a few are close to traditional heraldry, others stray very far from it (Morgruel is almost aboriginal). Individual knights will probably have more traditional shields as important NPCs are developed. (If George R.R. Martin can get away with it, I feel pretty safe doing the same.) ;)

Last edited:

Dizlag

Explorer
I'm a fan of Open Source tools and AutoRealm is a very good one. It's very similar to Campaign Cartographer, though probably not a polished as a purchased product.

Check it out!

Dizlag

MarkAHart

Explorer
Dundijinni is a nifty program, but buggy as all get out. I can make some pretty good maps with it, but too much time ends up wasted dealing with the program's bugs and glitches...and it is SLOW, even on a fast, high-end computer. Often, the biggest glitch is in trying to print a map I've spent hours making...

I haven't used CC3 to make dungeon maps, but I have finally learned to make decent city and overland maps. The learning curve was steep (for me, at least), but it is a much more powerful program from what I've experienced.

Drammattex

First Post
MarkAHart said:
Dundijinni is a nifty program, but buggy as all get out. I can make some pretty good maps with it, but too much time ends up wasted dealing with the program's bugs and glitches...and it is SLOW, even on a fast, high-end computer. Often, the biggest glitch is in trying to print a map I've spent hours making...

I refrained from mentioning this earlier because I didn't want to pick on Dundjinni, but the three reasons you stated were the three reasons I gave up on it.

Remove ads