• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mapping Program that doesn't burn thru ink

Turhan

First Post
Ok, I've used Campaign Cartographer for DOS for years, and tried CC2 which confused me so I quit. Then I used the mapper in the old Core Rules from TSR. I rather liked it but Core Rules used way too much ink, litteraly soaking the pages of paper. I'm looking for a new program that can paint down faint colors (perhaps using the old CC method of a matrix of close or far spaced dots).

My other requirements are not too demanding: the ability to mark trees, forests, cities (with dots or icons), mountains and draw wandering rivers. If it can also be used for medium scale dungeon maps, it would be good. Battle mats I don't need, and having a layover grid is optional.

Any suggestions?

LathanM

First Post
You can try switching to a line are program like Visio. Since MS bought them the price has gone up but you may still be able to find the older Visio Home version in the bargin bin. Other things you may want to look into is a different printer. If most of your maps are in b/w you can pick up a cheap laser printer for around $100.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I change my printer settings to "fastdraft" which is the minimum ink version and I still get a great map without wasting too much ink. That might be the best short term solution.

Cheers

DM

First Post
Turhan said:
Ok, I've used Campaign Cartographer for DOS for years, and tried CC2 which confused me so I quit. Then I used the mapper in the old Core Rules from TSR. I rather liked it but Core Rules used way too much ink, litteraly soaking the pages of paper. I'm looking for a new program that can paint down faint colors (perhaps using the old CC method of a matrix of close or far spaced dots).

My other requirements are not too demanding: the ability to mark trees, forests, cities (with dots or icons), mountains and draw wandering rivers. If it can also be used for medium scale dungeon maps, it would be good. Battle mats I don't need, and having a layover grid is optional.

Any suggestions?

Ever try Fractal Mapper? As long as you don't go crazy with details, I've found it to work quite well printing the maps in B&W.

D+1

First Post
Turhan said:
Ok, I've used Campaign Cartographer for DOS for years, and tried CC2 which confused me so I quit.

Any suggestions?
Go back to CC2, apply the universal update to v.6, do the tutorials, join the CC2 mailing list. If you can handle CCdos I cannot fathom why you couldn't adapt to CC2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads