• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mapping programs used by game companies

DMAndrew

First Post
Personally, I have found Campaign Cartographer to be the best of the programs that I use. For the maps in Betrayal at Shadewood Keep and Rooms with a View, I used a combination of CC, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop - CC doesn't have the capability of adding things like drop shadows and the textures don't work as nicely as I like, so I "tweak" everything in Illustrator.

For me, the best part of Campaign Cartographer is the HUGE number of symbols. I bought the Fantasy Overland and Fantasy Floorplans symbol sets, but there are LOTS of free symbols at the ProFantasy website. Yes, the learning curve can be steep (depending on what you're trying to do), but you really don't need to have artistic talent to make a usable map. And, as you get better with the program, your maps will improve dramatically.

Note: I have many of the CC expansions, including Dungeon Builder and City Builder - both of those add-ons make mapping even easier. And for building whole worlds, Fractal Terrains is wonderful.

ronpurvis

First Post
annadobritt said:
The symbols that come with cc2 are easy enough to alter in the program and for creating your own.

THat is like me saying it is easy enough to program in COBOL. If a person doesn't have any talent and/or knowledge in that area they are not going to sit down a write a program. For those of us that don't have the ability to do it, then it is not easy to create your own symbols. I fall into that category that will never be able to draw my own symbols.

annadobritt

First Post
ronpurvis said:
THat is like me saying it is easy enough to program in COBOL. If a person doesn't have any talent and/or knowledge in that area they are not going to sit down a write a program. For those of us that don't have the ability to do it, then it is not easy to create your own symbols. I fall into that category that will never be able to draw my own symbols.

CC2 has an option where you can import a bitmap, trace it and make that into a symbol. I've done it before. I've done the same thing with maps that I've drawn by hand. Scan it in, save as a bitmap, import into CC2 then trace it.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
We do all of ours maps by hand. Sometimes we actually hand draw them in pencil and scan them, but we prefer creating them digitally using both Painter and Photoshop. I've tried Campaign Cartographer, but it is somewhat difficult to pick up (and I don't have a lot of time) and I'm not a big fan of the results because its really easy to spot a map made with CC. Of all the map generation programs, Dundjinni produces stunning results and has an easy learning curve. Its all personal preference and we just like the unique look we get by creating our own cartography.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Here's a question I had, if anybody knows the answer:

I've heard good things about Dundjinni. What's the story on publishers using it as a tool? If I purchase it, and create maps with it, can I use those maps in my products?

Also, anybody know of a good site with info on it? The product description on RPGNow is a little sparse.

ronpurvis

First Post
GMSkarka said:
Here's a question I had, if anybody knows the answer:

I've heard good things about Dundjinni. What's the story on publishers using it as a tool? If I purchase it, and create maps with it, can I use those maps in my products?

Also, anybody know of a good site with info on it? The product description on RPGNow is a little sparse.

The license prevents you from using it for any commercial purpose. They even restrict end users from using certain parts of the artwork and posting maps on other sites. For instance at least one art pack has a seperate EULA that says you can't display anything produced with it other than at the Dundjinni site. No books,web sites, forums etc. Also for the maps that you do have permission to post on your own site, you have to put their logo on the map. I for one, think that type of licensing is too restrivctive if I have to pay for it.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Dundjinni looks like a great program, but the restrictions on what you can do with it (commercially) and where you can post it (their own site) makes it less then desirable. The only use i can see for it is making my own art packs, maybe someone will finally see the limitations of the current Dundjinni art packs and will produce art packs that allow. As far as i see it, the problem isn't Dundjinni, but the art packs that are available for the program.

CC2 has a big leaning curve, especially if you aren't used to CAD like programs and are used to paint program interfaces. To be honest, i get better and faster results by handdrawing maps, scanning them in and manipulating then in Photoshop.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads