• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mapping software - is it worth it?

Azgulor

Adventurer
Been gaming for 20 years now and damn but I love maps. Although I find them to rarely be essential, they have absolutely enhanced every game I've run when I've used them. Usually, an important site would be mapped out on graph paper - functional, but rarely satisfying to me. Just one problem...

Time. As in, takes too damn long.

So a few years back I purchase Campaign Cartographer 2. Loved it. Bought the add-ons. I could finally produce maps worth hanging on to and reusing throughout a campaign. Just one problem...

Time. As in, takes much too damn long.

Now, I'm a pretty PC-literate guy. I got to be decent with CC2, but even then, maps took forever to create - 6+ hours for a finished map (obviously much less if a functional map will suffice - but if that's all I wanted then why spend the $ instead of using graph/hex paper). So unless the site or area was going to be the main HQ or focus area of the campaign, it was pointless to spend the time making maps in CC2 - I needed the time to create NPCs, plan the next session, stat out some bad guys/monsters, etc. It was manageable when it was just the wife and I. Once my son was born, CC2 started gathering dust.

I've heard that Dundjinni is much easier to use than CC2. I've also read posts where people rave about their mapping software of choice. So for those who have tried the next-generation packages, how do they stand up to CC2? Can you produce a map in a more reasonable period of time? Without CAD proficiency? Or have the maps just gotten prettier but still take a long time.

Important Note: Interior maps - dungeons, castles, starships, etc. are not the issue. Overland maps, that's where the problem comes in. I want to be able to accurately map an area in smaller scale than what is typically presented in a setting's world map. Whether it's mapping a new continent on an alien world or the Duchy of Fantasyland, I want a map that's worth reusing - to scale - in 3 hours or less. My games tend to be pretty open-ended. The only drawback is I find it difficult to improv terrain on the fly while keeping track of distances between sites or in relation to other points of interest.

Thanks.

Most of our users seem to report 2-3 hours for a decently detailed map - but the best way to check it out might be to download the demo from our website - http://www.dundjinni.com/info/demo.htm

While there, you can check out the quality of the maps by visiting our maps forum.

Dundjinni originally released with battle map scale art - and that is still the major focus. However, we have released a campaign pack (1"=200ft scale) - as well as a free user-created campaign pack. and we hope to add more in the future.

Last edited:

Haltherrion

First Post
Not too sure how well dundjinni will work for overland maps but I'm hopeful. Like you, I'm a long time gamer who likes maps. I also found CC2 adequate but too slow to be really worth the time (plus the i/f is just clunky).

So, I can't comment on dundjinni for overland maps but for what it is worth, it is great for quickly producing nice looking interior maps. Really fast. Better than paper in speed and quality. If they can pull it off for overland, it will be a winner.

It isn't really complex (which is part of its advantage) but it does the job. it could use some extra features though and since we seem to have someone from the company on-line:

*gamma correct to control brightness: tends to print too dark
*when printing and exporting jpgs, should have an "print/export to extent" switch so that you don't get a bunch of blank grid for maps that don't fill a full page.
*It would be really cool if you coordinated this tool with DMGenie

patrick5087

First Post
Djunni, has a serious problem with my computer...

I have a 750mhrz AMD 400mill ram geforce fx 5200 and it was choppy at best so try out the demo well before you buy it!

:D

GlassJaw

Hero
I've been thinking about investing in map software for a while now. I've heard really good things about Campaign Cartographer. The only "negative" is the learning curve, although that seems to be very relative depending on who you talk to. As far as quality goes, CC seems to be second to none.

From what I've seen on their site, Dundjinni seems a bit limited in what it can do. I'm not that interested in making square grids so it's not much use to me.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Campaign Cartographer does indeed make beautiful maps, but I agree that the program is too complex and takes too much time. That's why I prefer Fractal Mapper from NBOS Software. It's pretty straightforward--I figured most of it out without even referring to the manual--but if you need or want documentation, there's an extensive pdf on the CD.

I think it makes excellent maps, and does so pretty quickly.

Theron

Explorer
Here's another vote for Fractal Mapper. I own a fair bit of stuff for CC2 and, while it's a tremendous and very powerful program, I've never felt like I stood a chance of using the program to even a quarter of its potential. The learning curve is extremely high, and I just don't have the time between work and family and other obligations to devote to getting the most out of it.

FM, on the other hand, allowed me to produce a much prettier map than I'd ever done with six months of CC2, almost out of the box. It's that much easier. I'd put the map up, if not for the fact that it was a copy of the Red Wizards' compound from the FRCS and therefore copyright.

Fractal Mapper also has icons by Eric Hotz, whose artwork I adore. And a much less, well, garish default color palette. I know there's a tremendous degree of color customization available with CC2, but out of the box, the colors are just too bright, too vivid.

The program's not perfect, of course, but it's still my mapping utility of choice.

marcq, thanks for the suggestions. I believe one of them may have been addressed in our latest patch (released in the last two weeks) while the others sound like worthy additions to our "wish list". If you could, it would be better to post your suggestions/requests for DJ features in our feedback forum - that's where we cull the suggestions to add the "wish list", from which we will decide the feature set for the next release.

glassjaw, for whatever it's worth - although most of the maps on our site have a square grid, Dundjinni does do hex grids also (assuming that's your grid style of choice).

Last edited:

Tuchok

First Post
For completeness

I have been using Auto Realm for last few years. Its works pretty well and was easy to pick up. My maps aren't as pretty as CC, but the cost is much lower. While time is always an issue in making mapes, Autorealm allows me to create fairly quick and dirty landscape maps with its terrain icons. The thing I like is that it is scalable. I can zoom in or out and add detail as needed. I can also use layers (like many other good mapping programs that sell for a lot more).

dzeeman

First Post
I work for the CHMP, the group that's putting together an online atlas of the world of Harn, created by N. Robin Crossby. We've developed a free add-on to CC2 called the "Mappa Harnica Tool Kit" Go here to check it out. http://www.thechmp.com/. I like CC2; I like the Mappa Harnica Tool Kit additions better because they emulate the beautiful hand-drawn style of N. Robin Crossby (originally ink and watercolor).

I also enjoy making maps with Map Maker Plus, from the superb font guys at the Scriptorium http://www.fontcraft.com/mapmaker/. The package emulates the Ortelius (15th & 16th century) Style of mapmaking. However, you need a base program like Adope Photoshop, and patience to learn how to use it and the special fonts from the package. The maps look spectacular!

As a DM I've found that no matter how cool your map is, basically the players will look at it, compliment you on it, and then put it down so that they can kill things. ;)

Unless you really like making maps for fun and/or profit, I wouldn't bother investing in any map making program. Good ol' graph paper (or hex paper) works just fine, is cheaper, and much quicker.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads