• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mapping software

Mirage_Patrick

First Post
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of moving up the tech scale and getting a mapping software for my campaign. I have been doing everything in microsoft paint, but want something a bit more professional looking.

Anyone have any recommendations...price vs bells?

thanks
Patrick

XCorvis

First Post
I'm sure other folks will mention the usual suspects for mapping software, but I just want to get a plug in for Inkscape - it's a free alternative to Illustrator. I think there are a lot of people around here who could get some use out of it.

ukgpublishing

First Post
Mirage_Patrick said:
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of moving up the tech scale and getting a mapping software for my campaign. I have been doing everything in microsoft paint, but want something a bit more professional looking.

thanks
Patrick

Alot would depend on what kind of maps you are looking for, if you want mainly dungeon maps you could try looking at http://www.dungeoncrafter.com/ which is good value at $0 :D

However, there are a lot of very good commercial packages out there. Campaign Cartographer gets very good reviews as does Dundjinni.

Personally, I'll stick to Paintshop Pro, Photoshop and a bit of drawing ;)

Aus_Snow

First Post
ukgpublishing said:
Personally, I'll stick to Paintshop Pro, Photoshop and a bit of drawing ;)
Same here, sans Photoshop.

I love good ol' Paintshop Pro, and it's pretty cheap too, depending. Plenty of bells and whistles available, also. I don't know if you've tried it already, but I think it's likely you'd find it vastly superior to Paint for well... just about everything.

I haven't found a reason to look beyond it or The GIMP, so far. Depends what OS I'm using at the time, that.

You can download demos of some mapping software, as well as things like Paintshop Pro (The GIMP is in fact free, regardless of OS), either at the primary site for each app, or at places like www.download.com .

Anyone got some unmentioned apps to recommend? I'd be interested, and the OP might be. (?)

Mirage_Patrick

First Post
I suffer from not being much of an artist (with pencil I can do a great reproduction of a house, but anything involving curves throws me for a loop)

I am hoping for something that will minimize the artistic ability and help the ideas get to the paper. I am mainly woried about the world/area/village maps, and less worried about the dungeons

JamesL85

First Post
I'm in the middle of working on something for just that.....It's a long way from finished, but I'd appreciate some input.....

The link is here.

James

Agamon

Adventurer
Mirage_Patrick said:
I suffer from not being much of an artist (with pencil I can do a great reproduction of a house, but anything involving curves throws me for a loop)

I am hoping for something that will minimize the artistic ability and help the ideas get to the paper. I am mainly woried about the world/area/village maps, and less worried about the dungeons

You and me, both. Campaign Cartographer Pro is great software. It's got a bit of a learning curve (unless you know autoCAD) but the tutorial that comes with it is great, and will have you making great maps quickly, including world, region, city and villiages (and dungeons, too).

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
NBO Software
AutoRealms (free)
Campaign Cartographer Pro
Dunjenni
There are a couple of others too.

Download and play with the Demos to make your choice, everyones mapping needs are different, find the best product for you.

Mirage_Patrick said:
Well price vs. bells is pretty much what you're looking at. You can get free with no bells and whip out certain kinds of maps in minutes, or you can pay fairly significant money with all the bells and effectively buy into an entirely new hobby - making maps with your chosen software.

I think your question has been asked enough times now with basically the same responses that it is much more constructive to ask for details rather than just list Campaign Cartographer, Dunjinni and Paintshop.

What style of maps do you want? Photo-like? Hand-drawn line style? Precisely measured (73.2 miles from pt.A to pt.B) or just a vague "Here be Wilderness" sort of approach?

What scale are you intending to map? Just buildings, caves, and dungeons? Do you need a village, a town, or a massive city? A 100-mile radius of outdoor terrain? 1000 miles? A planet?

How much time do you want to spend on your maps? If it takes you 10 hours to make a gorgeous map for your game that will only be used once is the time going to be worth it to you? Do you anticipate that CREATING the maps is going to be part of the fun and interest for you, or do you just want to be able to create maps without having to have colored pencils, a drawing board, t-square and hand drafting tools?

These are all non-trivial questions and very, very few people are going to be terribly familiar with more than just 1 piece of software. And what works fantastic for one persons needs and desires is going to be useless for others.

I use CC2 Pro. It costs a noteworthy amount of money when you start looking at the add-on packages for it, but IMO most of them have been worth it. Like ANY software it takes time to get to know what it WON'T do, and even more to become proficient enough with it to be able to make IT work for you rather than you trying to work IT. (It has the disadvantage of being somewhat counter-intuitive at first, but what makes it counter-intuitive also makes it much more powerful later on.) Making maps with it is also as much of a hobby in itself as it is just a tool for making RPG maps. I use it for all the maps for my campaigns, from a single room to entire continents (I'd say entire planets but I don't bother drawing maps for entire planets anymore as I have no need for entire planets - and never have). I am now proficient enough with it to spin out simple maps of a building or a dungeon in an hour (or perhaps even just minutes), while I have also spent dozens upon dozens of hours working on maps of cities and "world" maps simply for the satisfaction of seeing the end product. And it has an extraordinary level of company support and user community via mailing list/Yahoo group. http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/cc2/cc2.htm shows a sampling of what I've managed to do with it.

Last edited:

Maldin

First Post
A shameless repost from another thread in the General Discussion....

As the guy who created the new City of Greyhawk maps for WotC/RPGA, I've often been asked "How do you make your maps?" To answer that question in a way I could never do in a forum post, I recently put up a new page on my website for those who are looking for mapmaking advice for their campaigns and/or websites, including general comments about the various mapping software available, common design mistakes made by software users, and illustrated advice on designing medieval cities. For "a Guide to RPG Mapmaking", go to http://melkot.com/mechanics/map-guide.html

You may also want to check out the rest of my site, as there are original maps scattered about the entire site (mostly in the "Greyhawk Locations" section), many of which can be used for non-Greyhawk campaigns as well. Go to my site map page at http://melkot.com/sitehistory.html to find out what other stuff is there.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
===============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Check out the ton of cool Edition-independent stuff on my website:
New Spells, Magic Items, Campaign Notoriety, Artifacts, Kyuss, secrets of the Twin Cataclysms, the Codex of the Infinite Planes, the Dreadwood, the cities of Melkot, Greyhawk and Irongate, a Grand Unified Theory for all of D&D, and much, much more!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads