• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mapping the Greenbelt

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
Concerning the Kingmaker campaign, volume 1: The Stolen Lands

If the characters go by the instructions given to them (on page 6), concerning mapping/exploring the Greenbelt, then they will not discover certain sites as they fall outside the 36 miles east, west requirements (map on page 14).

Is this errata?

Abciximab

Explorer

Shisumo

First Post
The map was changed at some point after when the charter was written (north got rotated by one hex facing) and the editors didn't catch the implications for the charter. Most of the other direction notes I've found in the adventure are correct, but the charter itself has issues.

There are two possible options: one is to rotate the compass rose back to its original orientation, with north being straight up - that's the easiest way to fix the charter, and it also has the advantage of being more intuitive when you're looking at the map. It does run into issues when you get to other directional references, however (like the Sootscale caverns being 12 miles south of the mite tree), so you'll have to catch those as you go through.

The other option is the one I took, and it basically means rewriting the charter. My rewrite looks like this: "This exploration shall be limited to the following areas: all territory within twenty miles of Oleg’s Trading Post; and all territories west of a line directly south from Oleg’s Trading Post to the Shrike River, north of the Tuskwater and extending as far as the drainage basins of the Skunk and Thorn Rivers." With an OOC note clarifying that the headwaters of the Thorn were found on the plain north of the Narlmarches (so it includes the hex that has Location B in it), that covered the desired territory nicely. James Jacobs offered a more mathematically-specific but less flavorful (in my humble opinion ;) ) alternative here.

SeaJay

Love, Respect, Understanding
Thanks all

Good advice

EDIT: If I move Oleg's Trading Post one hex to the left, that 'seems' to sort everything out. No?

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
You mean people have players who would actually follow the letter of the charter as written?

Unpossible!

I never noticed this and since I'm re-writing the charter anyways to take into account the relocation to the Scarred Lands campaign setting, I will keep it in mind.

Personally I expect my players to run off the map at the first opportunity. I have some ideas for making them really want to stay on target though - not the least of which is the main point of the AP - becoming Kings & Queens!!

Remove ads