• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mario Races

Don Ventresca

First Post
Umh I had an Idea to start a somewhat Mario/Nintendo based RPG so heres what I've got as of 5:00 today ...

Koopa

Small Humanoid (Reptilian)
HD: 1d12-1 (10hp)
Initiative: -3
Speed: 15ft (3 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size +2 Dex +2 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1 / -3
Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d6) or Handaxe + 2 melee (1d6) or Slam +2 melee (2d8)
Full Attack: Bite +1 melee (1d6) and Handaxe +3 melee (1d6) or Bite +1 melee (1d6) and Slam +2 melee (2d8)
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Hold Breath
Space/Reach: 5ft / 5ft
Saves: Fort +1 Ref +2 Will +0
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 11
Skills: Animal Empathy +0, Climb +0, Handle Animal +0, Hide +6, Listen -1, Move Silently +2, Sense Motive +1, Swim +1, and Tumble +2
Feats: -
Environment: Warm Marshes
Organization: Stragglers (2-3), troop (6-10 plus 75% noncombatants plus one bowser of 3rd to 6th level), tribe (30-60 plus 100% noncombatants plus two hammers of 3rd to 6th level and 1 bowser of 6th to 10th level) or a clan (60-80 plus 250% noncombatants plus 4th to 8th level hammers and 1 bowser of 8th to 12th level)
CR: 1
Treasure: 80% coins; 20% goods
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Small); 4-5 (Medium)
Level Adjustment:

This small humanoid looks like a cross between a poorly built human and a turtle. It has a big shell on its back, a stumpy protruding tail, and dirty clawing hands

Koopa Society

Koopas are short, stocky, reptilian humanoids with yellow scales, green shells and modestly peaceful if not worrisome and whimsical personalities. That is if the current Bowser (King/Dominate species) is a Tyrant, (as they often are). Under those circumstances Koopas become totally different beings, attacking everything not cold blooded.
They often live in hill side villages hosing to be cut off from the rest of the world. They are good carpenters and are always building something new. Guard Towers are located 200yrds in each direction with wooden walls connecting them. 300yrd’s away from the aforementioned towers there is another circle of towers marking the outer limits of the town.

Combat

Koopas like there distant relatives the Kobolds always attack in over abundant numbers, even if there is no apparent danger. If a presumed enemy is near Koopas will spend hours setting up traps, then lure the prey into there plans. The typical trap is usually a pit fall of some sort with awaiting Koopas at the bottom.
If that doesn’t work they will flee following the solemn motto of: Only the strong survive.
They begin the fight sending in the weakest troops as a distraction and have the strongest circle round back for a surprise attack.
Light Sensitivity: Koopas are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Koopa as Characters

Most Koopa prefer to stay at home but the few that decide to wander often become fighters or druids. Koopa clerics worship there clan’s bowser. A Koopa cleric has access to two of the following domains: Community, Trickery, or War. Koopa characters possess the following traits:

- +2 Dex, +1 Cha
- Small size. +1 to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters
- A Koopa’s base land speed is 15feet. However, Koopas can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load
- +1 racial attack bonus on bearded and mustachioed humanoids
- +1 racial dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of fire subtype
- +2 racial bonus on Sense Motives checks
- +1 racial bonus on Swim checks
- Automatic Languages: Common, Koopa Bonus Languages: Draconic
- Favored Class: None

Theres a joke or two in there but I think it looks OK ...

Quenditar

First Post
There's a Mario d20 book floating around somewhere. It's not complete and it doesn't have everything, but it should be enough to get you started.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
A few questions. If they're humanoids, why the d12? Do they have levels in barbarian? Also, why the -1 to hp? They should have a +1, what with their Con mod.

Any particular reason for the Sense Motive bonus? So they know the princess is in another castle?

Demiurge out.

Don Ventresca

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
A few questions. If they're humanoids, why the d12? Do they have levels in barbarian? Also, why the -1 to hp? They should have a +1, what with their Con mod.

Any particular reason for the Sense Motive bonus? So they know the princess is in another castle?

Demiurge out.

(Sorry I've been gone, & I had sorta given up)

About HP I don't know, ... reptile subtype ... hmmmm. And the -1 lets see, I was thinking Con was had to do with Init and Koopas are cowardly sooooo ...

Sense motive was about I think the Koopas aren;t evil and they know Bowser(s) are evil soooo yeah this was priomarily thrown out but I still like it alot.

PS:
I'm going to need help, lots of help.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I was wondering about the initiative penalty...

The norm for humanoids without racial hit dice is that their first HD is in warrior, giving them a d8, full BAB, and a good Fort save. In order to get a d12, they would have to be barbarians.

A creature's ability scores govern most of its other miscellaneous plusses. Which means they should get bonus hp, not penalties. Also, if koopas have an initiative penalty, you should say so as a special quality, rather than just stick in an arbitrary number--without that SQ, the koopa should have a +1 initiative, not -3.

Don Ventresca

First Post
I'm a bit of a noob at this, ... whats BAB?

About ...

Also, if koopas have an initiative penalty, you should say so as a special quality, rather than just stick in an arbitrary number--without that SQ, the koopa should have a +1 initiative, not -3.

OK sounds good, but why +1

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
BAB is base attack bonus, which is determined by the number of Hit Dice. For humanoids, like the koopa, BAB is 3/4 HD (same as the cleric base class).

Regarding initiative: In the absence of any special qualities or feats, the initiative bonus is exactly the same as the Dexterity bonus (just as for PCs). The sample koopa has Dex 14, so init should be +2. But then in the racial write-up, they have a racial +2 to Dex, which corresponds to a +1 bonus on init.

Speaking of the sample vs racial characteristics, I don't quite follow the ability scores. Usually the sample is given by the average array (10s and 11s) plus the ability score bonuses/penalties from the race description, if the critters have racial HD. If they don't, you give them levels in a class (maybe you are using barbarian, like demiurge suggests, since only barbs and dragons have d12 HD, I think), and you use the elite or nonelite array depending on whether it's a PC or NPC class.

Don Ventresca

First Post
freyar said:
BAB is base attack bonus, which is determined by the number of Hit Dice. For humanoids, like the koopa, BAB is 3/4 HD (same as the cleric base class).

Regarding initiative: In the absence of any special qualities or feats, the initiative bonus is exactly the same as the Dexterity bonus (just as for PCs). The sample koopa has Dex 14, so init should be +2. But then in the racial write-up, they have a racial +2 to Dex, which corresponds to a +1 bonus on init.

Speaking of the sample vs racial characteristics, I don't quite follow the ability scores. Usually the sample is given by the average array (10s and 11s) plus the ability score bonuses/penalties from the race description, if the critters have racial HD. If they don't, you give them levels in a class (maybe you are using barbarian, like demiurge suggests, since only barbs and dragons have d12 HD, I think), and you use the elite or nonelite array depending on whether it's a PC or NPC class.

Oops, ... I thought it said in my MM that critters with the Reptile subtype had d12 HP.

(Quoting Homer here ...)

Dohh!!! I've never been good with HP, I'm going to find that Nintendo/Mario 'Book', thats apparently floating around.

(For examples, recourses, and th like)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads