• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Market Price for a Weapon Enhancement

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm thinking about a weapon enhancement to make a weapon ignore abjuration spells. (One of those "Bows etc do not confer this enhancement on their ammunition ones - you want this on your arrows, you buy enhanced arrows.)

Example - A creature protected by Shield, Shield of Faith, Protection from Evil, or Holy Aura gains no benefit to AC. A creature protected by Entropic Shield does not receive the normal miss chance against a ranged weapon enhanced in this fashion. The weapon ignores the DR of Stoneskin.

Example - The weapon is not affected by Antimagic Field, cannot be suppressed by Dispel Magic, and (maybe) can't be Disjoined. (Perhaps the 1% per caster level chance of Disjunction that artifacts get, without the whole losing-spellcasting-abilities and attracting-attention-of-deities consequences.)

Example - The weapon can pass unharmed through a Prismatic Wall or Prismatic Sphere. (Obviously, the effect does not extend to the wielder, so this is only useful for ranged or reach attacks.)

Example - The weapon is not affected by spells such as Repel Metal or Stone or Repel Wood.

Possible Example - If the weapon also deals elemental damage, it ignores such spells as Endure Elements and Resist Elements.

Possible Example - If the weapon is Spell Storing, it ignores such spells as Spell Resistance or Spell Immunity.

Possible Example - If the weapon is drains levels or deals negative energy damage, it ignores such spells as Death Ward and Negative Energy Protection.

Possible Example - The weapon ignores abjuration effects of items as well, such as Rings of Protection, Vestments of Faith, or the enhancement bonuses of Armor and Shields.

Thoughts, warnings, opinions?

Suggested Market Price Equivalent?

Ideas for a name?

-Hyp.

skymage

Explorer
THOUGHTS
i like the idea.

MARKET PRICE
+2 can only bypass level 1
+3 level 3
+4 level 5
+5 level 7
+6 level 9
+7 epic spells of the abjur school

that puts bypassing level 9 into epic games only, but that is where i feel it should be.

other ideas is keep it at +2 or +3 and call for a caster level check to bypass the abjuration.

WARNINGS
can get very unbalanceing

it might also be a good idea to house rule greater magic weapon to only effect nonmagical weapons or nonmagical projectiles, or make it a part of this enhancetment to not allow greater magic weapon on these arrows.

part of giving it a high market value is so the archer has to chose abjur penitration or DR penitration.

allowing a magic item in an antimagic field could be way to strong. the first ting that came to mind is where is that iron collosus.

incase you havn't noticed i like the epic level handbook. maybe a little too much.

try and keep it out of the players hands. or give them very few or if you are the player don't try and cheese these. abjuations are a good way for a dm to up the difficulty of the encounter if they become usless then encounters might start being impossible to balance just right.

my worries might be unfounded cause i play in extremly high magic worlds and in a normal magic world the availability might be low enogh that there is nothing or little to worry about.

that's my opinion. let me know what you think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads