• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Marking Miniatures

pjrake

Explorer
What is the best way to mark miniatures of the same type? For example, I have five orcs on the field, and I want to know which ones have taken hit points. But with all the conditions, effects, etc I have to keep track off, it's difficult to know which one is which.

I remember seeing a special pen that you can write the numbers on the base of the minis, but cannot find it anywhere online.

Are there any other methods or systems GMs use to keep track of your minis on the board? Thanks.

-PJ

S

Sunseeker

multi-colored sticky-tabs works for us. Specific effects from players can be written on them as well.

Troll Slayer

First Post
Get a 1 inch thick dowel rod and cut it into discs. Spray paint the discs different colors for different conditions; and then slide them under the miniature.

Examples:
Red - Bloodied/Wounded
Black - Blinded
White - Flying/Elevation (ten feet per disc maybe?)
Green - Peons
Silver/Gold - Lieutenant/Boss NPC

Just something I've been pondering myself. My dad has a table saw, I just need to take the time to make the discs.

EDIT: Alternatively just use poker chips although 1' inch discs fit nicely into the standard DnD grid.

EDIT 2: Also, you can get the round paper tokens, print 'em out and glue them to the discs for minis you don't own!

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I want to try a sharpie silver pen and just mark them with numbers.
That's what I've done for all my Commons and most of my Uncommons. The Sharpie paint-pens also come in gold. It works really well, IMO.

On a few things I used, eg., dots instead of numbers. For instance, I have 12 Medium Spiders of Lolth, and I put dots (one through 12) in symmetrical patterns on their thoraxes. It looks pretty cool, and it's easier to distinguish them from one another across the battlemat.

(Keep a sheet of paper and a paper towel nearby while you're numbering. The pens can flow unevenly, and the paper will help you even out the flow before writing on the base, and the paper towel will let you quickly wipe away any mistakes before they dry to permanence.)

I used the little sticky-dots -- they come in multi-color packs -- for some Uncommons and all Rares (because I don't want to destroy secondary market value).

Superking

Explorer
As far as tracking goes I keep track of HP on paper and have the minis mentally recorded in clockwise position. So 1-5 on my sheet simply goes in clockwise position.

Other DM's in my group use wet erase on our battle grid.

For conditions I use colored paperclips and hang them on the mini.

I use colored poker chips to place under the mini to represent marks.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I bought packets of star-shaped colored stickers at Staples for I think 99 cents a packet. They came in six colors and included like 180 stickers. I tag each mini with a color when I put them on the table and then can identify them by color when tracking hit points. And since they're extremely cheap, they go on / come off with no problems.

On the computer I would build a series of 1 inch squares. On all four edges I would then print a small number. 1-whatever

Print on colored paper. This way I could sort different groups or troop units if I needed to.

Cut out out and with a bit of funtac (sticky putty used for posters) attach.

Worked and I could use this is have a "hidden" leader or spellcaster within a group and players couldn't guess.

Remove ads