• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Marking

sammy

First Post
Could someone explain the whole mark and marked thing to me. I have read the fighter and paladin descriptions, but don't get how to mark in general.

Do I have to be one of those classess to do this?

?????

Thanks in advance.

Sammy the DM of 4,previously 3.5, and previously 2nd

Lord Ernie

First Post
Short answer: yes (although there are powers/paragon path of other classes that mark).

Long answer: marking gives a -2 to attacks from the affected creature that don't target the marking character; depending on what placed the mark, other effects may apply (e.g. Fighter's Combat Challenge and Paladin's Divine Challenge).

Specifically, a Paladin can mark foes with his Divine Challenge and several of his powers. Most of the Fighter's marking happens through Combat Challenge, which means that whenever he attacks a foe, and whether he hits or misses, the target is marked until the end of the fighter's next turn.

Last edited:

Andur

First Post
No, there are several powers/abiliities/monsters that all can mark...

Marking is quite simple -2 to all attacks for the markee against anyone other than the marker.

You can only mark if you have a class feature/ability or some power which gratns "the target is marked" as a result.

Note, a mark only lasts until the start of your next turn unless otherwise specified.

Palladion

Adventurer
Marked is a condition (like prone or unconscious), PHB 277, independent of the fighter and paladin abilities. Their abilities just cause marked and do other stuff on top of that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads