• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Married with Children and D&D

ArielManx

First Post
Married to the DM; we are childless by choice. One of our players is married with three teenagers (his oldest just started college), the other is single and in no hurry to settle down.

Ariel

Harlock

First Post
MEG Hal said:
We have an older group but I am we have 2 of us with kids and I am divorced, we play at my house on the weekends I do not have my kiddies, but we are not playing this weekend due to the holiday and my lady friend (who games) is visiting.

As we get older we tend to have more enjoyment gaming because we understand the importance of "free time".

Man, first the private jet, Jamaican babes and drinks on the beach, now you even have free time? You publishers, feh! Getting rich off of the sweat of us gamer people with your four cent price increases! Hal, for shame, and wear some friggin' pants!

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
My primary campaign consists of me and my wife (no children), a single male and a married male (three children - the oldest started college this past Tuesday).

hunter1828

Storminator

First Post
I've been gaming with my son (he's 15) and his friends for about a year now. Last week we moved to a new town.

Turns out the neighbor kids play (sort of, making characters last night revealed weak D&Dfu). So having a kid that plays got me a game group in a new town within 6 days. :)

In my weekly game we've got at least 3 parents, with kids ranging from 3 to 16.

PS

Archade

Azer Paladin
My kids are 3 and 5, and we've come up with a fairly equitable solution.

Off the gaming room, we revamped my wife's sewing room to include a couch, a VCR, and all the kids movies'. That way, the kids are near to hand, and out of trouble while we play. They've hit a fairly independant age, so it's easier than it was when they were younger.

The only problem is my son, being 5, wants to play too. I keep reading him The Hobbit at bedtime, and emphasize that learning to read will let him play D&D when he's older.

My kids would much rather play with the other kids than play with us. The presence of a PS1 and a Gamecube help out too, on this front.

Then again, we still get a lot of kids tramping up the stairs for "I need a drink," or "XXXXX just hit me" or "we're bored with watching movies/playing videogames/throwing basketballs at each other/etc." We've taken two approaches to this as well:
1) "I'm very sorry, but does that really sound like a Daddy problem or a kid problem to solve?" :)
2) "Bedtime!" Everyone camps in the basement and we don't entertain anyone coming up anymore. My kids are the worst about actually falling asleep this way, but they do stay put fairly well.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
We have two couples and two single guys. I'm not certain on the ages but I'm pretty sure we're all under 25. One of the couples has a small rugrat that runs around, drools on people, and tries to eat dice. I bought him a giant d20 after he tried to take mine one too many times. :)

Remove ads