• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial artists help needed here - what can you tell me about Hung Gar?

zdanboy

First Post
As in the topic...what can you tell me bout Hung Gar? What is the characteristic of this kung fu style? (punches, kicks, locks) What forms are taught?

Basicly I wanted to start some martial arts training. Almost everybody I asked on these boards told me to study Hung Gar. So I want to know something more bout the style....Also is the style good for not so well-built (like me) people?

Drakmar

Explorer
yes, the style is good for not so well built people. because by doing it.. over the course of a few years, you will become well built.

hung gar is a long arm style, meaning that there is a lot of arm work, punches, grabs, bizarre kung fu strikes, that kind of thing. That does not mean it ignores kicking though. Definately a good style.

Napftor

Explorer
I believe you can achieve this lost art by not eating. :D ;p

Why hasn't anyone said this yet? On a more serious note, I have nothing for the topic, but have you heard anything about your free Oathbound yet, zdanboy?

Dremen

First Post
In your quest for finding 'your' kung fu style remember to keep an open mind. There is a style out there that will seem like it is made just for you. When you find it you will know. I have studied many different styles for various lengths of time. My sifu help me find what fit me best ofter a few months of trying different styles. Hung Gar is good. If you find an good instructor you will be well set. IF after a few months it doesn't seem to fit take a look at other styles untill you find what fits you best. I've seen it happen a few times a good friend of mine started in pentak selat, to kenpo, to white crane kung fu, untill he found wing chun, which fit him best.

Also from my experience a good instructor in a style that doesn't fit you best is much better than a poor instructor in a style you love. Many princibles are the same in many martial arts, and if you master 1 style it makes it easier to learn others.

Look at the students if they seem compenant then you may have a good teacher. Also you will want to consider weather or not the school you attend is into the sport side (lots of tournaments) or the self defense side. Sport fighting is much different than street fighting. IF you see lots of trophies then it is likely a sport school. Just know what you want to get out of it. Many people will also say x style is better than y style. I have found that no matter what style you choose if you devote your self to it will be the "best".

-D

Drakmar

Explorer
Just to add.. Dremen is so on the mark it I wish I had said what he did.

I have studied Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Aikido, Hung Gar, Another Brand of Wing Chun, Hung Gar with different instructor, Wu Shu, and Hung Gar with an instructor that suited me.

I have found that personally, Hung Gar fits my mind set, and my body type fits easily into the stuff you get to learn at the beginning. Where as.. for me.. Wu Shu is a whole world of hurt.. (I need to be much bendier to do Wu Shu)

Find the one that fits..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads