Martial Controller? Forked Thread: WotC Spring 2009 Catalog

Frostmarrow

First Post
A monk could be large - as in covering four squares. Dealing debiliating effects left and right. I'd love to see the monk a martial controller.

jaldaen

First Post
Any ideas?

Right now I'm working on a martial controller called the Auxiliary. The concept behind it is to make a class that mimics the effects of historical auxiliary classes such as Roman auxiliary units, Zulu warriors, and other skirmisher types whose primary function was to help shape the battlefield by attacking at range in an attempt to break up the enemy's advance and its ranks. It still has a lot of playtesting to go through, but so far the playtesters like the idea of the class and now its just shaping its class features and powers to make an all-around balanced class.

For those of you interested, please check out the thread above and feel free to provide feedback on the preview character you find there.

As for melee-based martial controllers... I think they would be doable, but the danger I see with the concept is making it a class durable enough in melee to survive melee, but still need a defender to stay alive. In other words such a class would need to have some kind of "glass jaw" feature built into it (probably Wizard starting hp, level-based hp, and healing surges). The question then becomes how to keep such a class alive long enough to be an effective controller.

Rechan

Adventurer
The monk is not going to be a controller. A designer was asked "Is the Monk going to be a Martial Striker" and the response was "You're half right". The Races and Classes book said Monks would be a Striker. The PHB said that we will see a Ki power source. The Convert your Character: PH article shows you how to turn a ranger into a Monk.

Finally, I refer you Converting your Character: Tome of Battle, where they break down the disciplines by Role. Here it says:
Setting Sun: Striker or Defender (particularly the “throw opponent” maneuvers)
The most monk-like abilities in the whole dang book is classified as striker or defender powers.

The monk being a Ki Striker is a sure thing; I will put money on it.

I do not think we will see any martial controllers from WotC. In several places they said that making a martial controller was, to paraphrase, "seen as needless symmetry, and we could find no concept that didn't seem silly". We might see it from 3pp, but that's it.

Furthermore, the Power Source books have been said to not introduce any new classes; that's what the PHB II/III/IV etc are for. And the PHB II has "Arcane, Divine and Primal" power sources on it, at least according to the cover we've seen. So, even if WotC was to put out a martial controller, you won't see one anytime soon.

jaldeen said:
I think they would be doable, but the danger I see with the concept is making it a class durable enough in melee to survive melee, but still need a defender to stay alive. In other words such a class would need to have some kind of "glass jaw" feature built into it (probably Wizard starting hp, level-based hp, and healing surges). The question then becomes how to keep such a class alive long enough to be an effective controller.
This says one issue much nicer than I would have put it. The controller's balancing factor is that he splats real easy. The strikers at my table go down easy; the controllers are made of tissue paper.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I think no purely martial class will make a better controller than the fighter already is. You'd have to stretch the definition of 'martial' to include clearly supernatural or alchemical effects to get a better controller. I'd be happiest if it they didn't create a class for power source - class combo.

Cadfan

First Post
The basic issue is that "controlling enemies within melee reach so that you can better punch them in the face" is really a type of defending.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I doubt this Martial Controller some people are clamouring for will ever come to fruition, not only have the designers stated they are not obsessing about filling out the power source/role grid, but every idea I have seen for one has been very contrived.

This Engineer/Alchemist/Harrier/Dragoon etc business is doing me old noggin in.

The Monk is all but confirmed as a Ki Striker.

garyh

First Post
Between the fighter's battlefield stickiness and pushes and the warlord's push/pull/slide tactics for putting combatants where you want them and the ranger's Twin Strike for dealing with minions, I think the theoretical all-martial party would do just fine without a controller. It's better than forcing something odd just to fill the grid.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I think the theoretical all-martial party would do just fine without a controller. It's better than forcing something odd just to fill the grid.

Yep, and they have also stated you do not need every role covered in a party to be effective.

My ongoing Planescape campaign currently consists of 1 Defender and 2 Strikers, and they're doing just dandy.

Remove ads