D&D 5E Martial Damage Dice Clarification

KesselZero

First Post
So in the Classes packet, it says of martial damage dice, "When you spend a martial damage die, you cannot use it again on the same turn." So you get them back at the beginning of the turn of whatever creature goes right after you. This means that if you use Parry (the fighter power) or a maneuver like Defensive Roll or Protect when it's not your turn, you can spend all your MDD, then have them back at the beginning of the next creature's turn, right? So there's basically no reason not to spend all your MDD for Parry or something like it, because you can only take one reaction per round (but of course, that also limits you to only using Parry, or any other off-turn maneuver, once per round).

But this is distinct from Controlled Fall, the monk maneuver, which lets you spend MDD "when you fall," but not as a reaction.

I think I get it; I just want to make sure I have it straight before I run my first DDN session next week. To recap: you can use all your MDD on your own turn, and can use them all again once per round off your turn (using your reaction), except for Controlled Fall because it's special.

Yeah?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
if you use Parry (the fighter power) or a maneuver like Defensive Roll or Protect when it's not your turn, you can spend all your MDD, then have them back at the beginning of the next creature's turn, right? So there's basically no reason not to spend all your MDD for Parry or something like it, because you can only take one reaction per round (but of course, that also limits you to only using Parry, or any other off-turn maneuver, once per round).
This is all correct.

But this is distinct from Controlled Fall, the monk maneuver, which lets you spend MDD "when you fall," but not as a reaction...you can use all your MDD on your own turn, and can use them all again once per round off your turn (using your reaction), except for Controlled Fall because it's special.
Controlled Fall is an off-turn thing, but as-written, it doesn't use a reaction (possibly just poor copy editing). So you could Parry and use Controlled Fall in the same turn--but your martial dice wouldn't recharge in between.

Here's how it works: At the beginning of every turn (everyone's, not just yours), you get all your martial dice back. If you spend them, you don't get them back until the beginning of the next turn.

Yes, this is stupid and makes no sense. They're working on it.

Ramaster

Adventurer
You should just get them all at the beginning AND end of your turn (like how you untap your cards in Dungeon Command). If you will only EVER get one reaction per turn, then this is the optimal way to go.

If they are planning to give out additional reactions per turn (which I think they shouldn't, since it would bog down gameplay) then they have to come up with a different way to do it, if they want you to be able use all your martial dice for each reaction (something that would remove an interesting element of resource management, IMO).

strider13x

First Post
Please read page 11 in the How to Play document. Turns and Reactions are clearly outlined there. You do not gain MMD on other peoples turns, only at the begining of your own. You may use the Ready an Action (page 13) to prepare to use a Reaction to Parry with any remaining MMD you have.

strider13x

First Post
The Fighter class is worded differently: "You must be able to take actions to spend a martial damage die. When you spend a martial damage die, you cannot use it again on the same turn."
Since the Barbarian doesn't have Parry or Manuevers that are available to the Fighter What difference does it make when the Barbarian MMD refresh because his can only be applied to damage.

strider13x

First Post
Wow, in our playtest the fighter is tough with MMD refreshing at start of turn. Either way, you only get one Reaction, therefore only one Parry at full MMD. Seems powerful but will try it next session.

We haven't played with the Monk yet not sure about their maneuvers.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah. Parry was already pretty sick before they clarified that it was even more broken than I thought. Looking forward to the updates. Our level 6 game has three fighters and the DM has to do over 20 damage in a single shot or hit each multiple times in order to damage them AT ALL. You know something's broken when the DM crits a fighter and the fighter's player says "Sweet! I'm actually going to feel that!"

Remove ads