• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Monk and pre requisites

Binho

First Post
If (and that's a big if) I were to allow this alternate ability that lets you take feats without prerequisites, I would only allow it as follows:

For the bonus feats at first and second level, you may ignore ability score prerequisites only. You must still meet all feat, BAB, and other prerequisites. For the bonus feat at sixth level, you may ignore ability score prerequisites and one feat prerequisite, but must meet BAB prerequisites and multiple feat prerequisites.

For example, if a monk wanted to take Spring Attack as their bonus feat at 6th level, they could ignore the 13+ Dex requirement, but would have to have either the Dodge or Mobility feat (but not both). This should cut out the cheesiest abuses while still opening up enough opportunities to be worthwhile. Plus, this is exactly in line with the prereqs normally ignored by the monk. Under no circumstances should anyone ever be allowed to ignore BAB or skill rank prerequisites, which is an important level-limiting mechanic.

You are just making monks worst, because he would still never qualify to rapid blitz and stunning fist would be out of question.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Honestly, most fighter bonus feats, epic are not, are underwhelming enough that in the past I've allowed players to ignore all prerequisites with Martial Monk and it's turned out fine. Heck, one of those monks was a ranged spec, with Zen Archery and Distant Shot for accuracy, Swarm of Arrows for groups, and Infinite Deflection to prevent counterattacks, and it still wasn't too stupidly broken even with those three epic feats because with the kind of threats and environments you face at 2nd level being able to shoot as far as the eye is useless without the damage or Spot check to back it up, any martial type can kill a bunch of mooks close to you, and the wizard has wind wall for arrows anyway. Next to a dungeoncrasher or a barbarian pouncer or even a TWFing rogue, the damage output pales, and the unlimited range lets you do silly things but nothing broken.

Even if you don't play at quite that power level, a monk getting Weapon Specialization without fighter levels, or Robilar's Gambit at a level where a monk-caliber AoO might actually be a threat, or Whirlwind Attack before it's obsoleted by Mithral Tornado, or a weapon style feat without sinking a half-dozen feats into prereqs, is not going to drastically break anything, with very few exceptions that can be spot-banned. I mean, most feats should really be lower level anyway given the way the game has evolved (the epic feat Dire Charge is now a 1st-level barbarian sub level, to name one). I'd even be inclined to allow feats that depend on prior feats in the chain and let them use them normally (like Rapid Blitz or ITWF), but that's a matter of personal taste.

Remove ads