• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Martial vs Caster: Removing the "Magical Dependencies" of high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remathilis

Legend
Doing wild things without explicit magic is pretty baked into the system. With just skill feats you can scare someone to death with intimidation, grapple gargantuan creatures with athletics, hide in plain sight with stealth, be immune to fall damage with acrobatics, etc. There's a dedication feat you can take to resurrect someone with Medicine.

All those are nonmagical from what I recall.
Resuscitate, right? That's what a google search found me.

I'm going to make some presumptions (forgive me if I'm wrong) but the requirements sounds like you have to be amazingly dedicated to healing and high level to make it work and its still more limited than casting Raise Dead. Akin to having a fighter learn Revivify right around the time the cleric learns resurrection. And while it kinda borders the believability line, at least its attempting to mimic CPR/defibrillation in some manner.

At least it gives me something to think on. And it reinforces my desire to have a "weapon mastery-like" system for skills...

Incenjucar

Legend
For a mythic warrior, it may be worth having an "uncanny" keyword to help DMs identify elements that are more "extra" than others in case they're on the fence and feel the need to ban the most extreme options.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Resuscitate, right? That's what a google search found me.

I'm going to make some presumptions (forgive me if I'm wrong) but the requirements sounds like you have to be amazingly dedicated to healing and high level to make it work and its still more limited than casting Raise Dead. Akin to having a fighter learn Revivify right around the time the cleric learns resurrection. And while it kinda borders the believability line, at least its attempting to mimic CPR/defibrillation in some manner.

At least it gives me something to think on. And it reinforces my desire to have a "weapon mastery-like" system for skills...
It takes a bit of investment, but not too much, you just need to take the Medic Dedication feat first, available at level 2, and be Legendary in Medicine, you'd have 1 legendary skill at level 16 when you can take Resuscitate.

So, 2 class feats and upping Medicine to Legendary along your carreer (which someone in your party should definitely do since Medicine is a top tier skill). With the very popular free archetype rule, you don't even need to spend the feat slots.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
What flavor? The flavor I get it "fighters can fly because fighters are strong and fighter's need to fly to keep up with wizards?" If you said "fighters can fly by harnessing their ki" or "fighters can fly because they all secretly are aliens" I could argue flavor. But the flavor I get is "I refuse to explain it". And if you won't explain I won't accept.

You want fighters to fly and you don't feel it necessary to justify it lore. That's not flavor. That's handing me water and telling me to pretend its a Mai Tai.
How many people are actually asking for flying fighters? Or is that just something you’re repeating to make what we actually want sound unreasonable, we just want a fighter who can jump well, lift a big rock, damage a magic construct by hitting it, fight a hoard, these aren’t way out there things we’re asking for that ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY MUST REQUIRE MAGIC TO HAPPEN

The flavour that they can do those sorts of things just by being strong

Last edited:

They 100% can multi-class if they want to, or be an eldritch knight. But if they want all the benefits of being a level 20 wizard, or druid, or cleric, or bard, then they can't also have all the benefits of being a level 20 fighter.
...what? where did that come from?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
How many people are actually asking for flying fighters? Or is that just something you’re repeating to make what we actually want sound unreasonable, we just want a fighter who can jump well, lift a big rock, damage a magic construct by hitting it, fight a hoard, these aren’t way out there things we’re asking for that ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY REQUIRE MAGIC TO HAPPEN

The flavour that they can do those sorts of things just by being strong
Those things aren't going to match the noncombat options of a caster, which a lot of people seem to want. In fact, those all sound like things a monk can do, pretty much. They certainly don't sound very "mythic".

Hussar

Legend
You mean like really good armor? Damage resistances? Environmental dangers and terrain effects? Things which target a fighter's weakest saves?

Sometimes I wonder if the people making this complaint have even played a high level fighter. In my experience the spellcasters are critical for the boss monster battles while the non-spellcasters are critical for the bread and butter battles you go through to get to those boss battles and adventures tend to seek out the weaknesses of both types.
I don't think I was clear. Sorry. My point is, I agree with you. You can challenge a fighter pretty easily. Jack up the AC, add in damage resistances, jack up the HP, give the baddy attack types that target saving throws. Hell, charms are the fighter's worst enemy at any level. In other words, I don't have to do anything particularly new or innovative. Just take the challenges of a 5th level fighter, and then add a few extra numbers and they become a challenge for a 15th level fighter.

In other words, the fighter doesn't require the DM to completely rewrite challenges because the fighter has abilities that negate entire concepts. Such as Forbiddence making a "crypt" dungeon superfluous. Better hope there's a lich in that crypt because otherwise, none of those undead have a dispel magic spell and they all die before they get to act.

Tales of the Valiant is sure following WotC"s lead....

As someone who has never looked at PF2e seriously, can anyone describe how Paizo handles high-level martials? Do they fly and toss mountains?

They did a couple things to narrow the gap but at high levels full casters are still ahead, but not as much.

1) surprisingly they nerfed casters. so that helps. there are very few spells that permanently and reliably turn a hard encounter into an easy one. For example, Wizards are among the weaker lower level casters I think. AoE are ok damage, single target not so much. Control spells are weaker but useful. Buff and debuffs help a lot but are not as flashy. Utility is still there but Pf2e still does traditional Vanican for Wizards so less flexibility. Higher levels Wizards get better and probably surpass martials as some lower level spells are still useful and now you have the slots, more powerful utility, more access to stuff to use creatively, etc.

2) Pf2e is pretty much an encounters based system even if they don't admit it so I think that helps.

3) Fighters interact with the 3 action economy better. You can spend you actions on whatever so Fighters can move, attack, something. Or attack attack something. Whereas spells are still mostly 2 actions so the Wizard must often spend their something on Move. The somethings are actually worth it -- The Fighter can get good at Intimidate for instance and a check can inflict a penalty that is similar to spells.

4) High level skill feats can do some cool stuff. Intimidate can scare to death weak monsters, etc. They could have gone further with this. Not many are really all that mythic. So lost opportunity there but there are some. Edit: actually maybe I'm wrong on this as haven't gotten a chance to play high level. Looks like there are a few high level fighter abilities that allow you to do things like reflect spells, sever space in between you and melee attack at range (from a very specific campaign but still), etc. Still not that many I can see but the design space seems to be there.

5) crit threshold is a big deal and Fighters are +2 to hit ahead in attack from any other class which is a big deal in pF2e. Fighters are better at single target damage than spellcasters. So I guess they are actually somewhat better at fighting.

6) there is more reliance on teamwork in the game. The default difficulty is pretty tough and assumes buffing and debuffing to make spells work better and get crits etc. So feels like less of spotlight on that combat "defining spell". Spells do very useful stuff but they contribute not necc. dominate. Occasional a monster does "crit fail" a spell and get completely taken out but it's rare if it's a boss or henchman type. They redefined saves into 4 tiers and many spells have a weaker but still useful effect on a save. Tougher monsters often save and you still get this effect, but it takes teamwork and luck to get a fail or crit fail on a tougher monster.

So, no I don't think high level PF2e feel significantly more mythic but I do think they have a better niche in the game as tough single target damage dealers that are harder to replicate by other classes. With a smattering of better support abilities like the Intimidate feat chain.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads