• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mask of the skull attack of opp

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Using the mask of the skull requires a ranged touch attack, so it takes the same kind of action as any other single attack.

And no, a returning mask, like any other returning weapon or item, doesn't provoke an AoO.

Jeff

Darren

First Post
Have to disagree a bit...

I would say that using it is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, but that the mask provokes an attack of opportunity before making its touch attack.

Activating a magic item (except reading scrolls and using potions) is generally a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The mask is presumably tied in some way to the wearer's face. Removing it your standard action that activates it. A free action takes little or no time. The mask must be removed, fly to the target, attack, and fly back. To me this seems like a sequence that would take up more time than would be reasonable for a free action.

It provokes an attack of opportunity before attacking because it is a tiny object and therefore must enter the target's square in order to make its touch attack. I'm quite willing to be proven wrong on this point though. But it does seem strange that the mask's AC, hardness, and hit points are listed in the DMG if no one ever gets to attack it...

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Darren said:
Activating a magic item (except reading scrolls and using potions) is generally a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The mask is presumably tied in some way to the wearer's face. Removing it your standard action that activates it.

You're right; it is treated as activating a magic item, rather than as a ranged touch attack. I wonder if that was changed between editions, or if my group had been doing it wrong all along.

So yes, activating the mask is a standard action.

It provokes an attack of opportunity before attacking because it is a tiny object and therefore must enter the target's square in order to make its touch attack.

No, the mask no more provokes an AoO than an incoming javelin or attacking spiritual weapon does.

But it does seem strange that the mask's AC, hardness, and hit points are listed in the DMG if no one ever gets to attack it...

Nobody said you can't attack the mask; you can attack it just as you'd attack any attended object.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
wilder_jw said:
No, the mask no more provokes an AoO than an incoming javelin or attacking spiritual weapon does.

Damn it... so when I use my AoO to grapple incoming arrows, instead of spending all those feats to get Snatch Arrows, it shouldn't work?

:)

-Hyp.

Darklone

Hypersmurf said:
Damn it... so when I use my AoO to grapple incoming arrows, instead of spending all those feats to get Snatch Arrows, it shouldn't work?

-Hyp.
Ready an action to catch them with Mage hand :D

And prepare a camera for a snapshot of your DMs face.

angry monkey

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

Only problem is that once you grapple them (assuming you win the opposed check) you have to wait another round to get an action to damage them. I'd recomend fighting someone who uses arrows with appendages, then you could trip them, and with improved trip, get a free attack on the little farts before you had to spend the next round using your dwarven ability to detect slope on a staircase.

Darren

First Post
I have the strange feeling that I'm being mocked...

Anyway, I'll concede the point about the AoO, but the mask is hardly a spiritual weapon or ammo... more like an animated object to me.

I suppose my strong dislike for save-or-die effects is coloring my judgment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads