Media [Masks: A New Generation] Monthly Masks: The Outcasts

MalyNym

Villager
0MasksPromo1NightshadedGlazedWatermark.jpg

Art by TheArtsyGoob: The Artsy Goob's Sites

Monthly Masks: The Outcasts is a live play using the Masks: A New Generation ruleset. As the title suggests, it will be a once a month game, streamed on Twitch, then uploaded to YouTube.

Let's meet the team!

Lady Belvoir as
1CVALKIndividualCharactersPromo.jpg

The Artsy Goob as
2GREMLINIndividualCharactersPromo.jpg

Zom Danni as
3ELARAIndividualCharactersPromo.jpg

Ruby the Lazy Goblin as
4LDARKIndividualCharactersPromo.jpg

The Gremlin's bio raises an interesting point. In a supers setting, does suddenly gaining powers or having your roomie turn out to be a supervillain or being kidnapped by alien spacegods get schools to cut you some slack the way real-world traumas generally do, or does the fact that those sort of things happen so often act to reduce the level of sympathy you get?

"Young man-thing, if I gave every student a chance to re-take their final exam just because they were out saving the world I'd never get done grading these tests. No excuses. Real heroes find a way to meet their responsibilities while dealing with unexpected crises."

MalyNym

Villager
The Gremlin's bio raises an interesting point. In a supers setting, does suddenly gaining powers or having your roomie turn out to be a supervillain or being kidnapped by alien spacegods get schools to cut you some slack the way real-world traumas generally do, or does the fact that those sort of things happen so often act to reduce the level of sympathy you get?

"Young man-thing, if I gave every student a chance to re-take their final exam just because they were out saving the world I'd never get done grading these tests. No excuses. Real heroes find a way to meet their responsibilities while dealing with unexpected crises."
Ha, you bring up a good point. Will have to think about that XD

Ha, you bring up a good point. Will have to think about that XD
An origin story where your roomie secretly lets a bunch of radioactive centipedes loose in your dorm room to give you superpowers and get himself a guaranteed pass for the semester thanks to the "sudden trauma clause" would be amusing. The narrative demands it has to backfire and get him bitten too, giving you a rival right from word one - as if the adult villain the Mighty Millipede* wasn't nemesis enough already since he thinks you're ripping off his schtick. :)

*The Millipede debuted in Crime Exterminator #47 in the classic story "Evil Walks On A Thousand Feet" - your editor

MalyNym

Villager
Issue #1 of The Outcasts is up on YouTube

In this issue we learn about the team, meet their friends, and deal with some threats!

Disclaimer: This is my first time running Masks. I'm learning, and I know I made many mistakes. But hey, I marked potential and got experience! (We'll go over the End of Session move in the next issue.) I still have a lot to learn, and hopefully will get better with each issue!

It is also my player's first time, so we're all newbs here! That said, my players still gave positive feedback and said they enjoyed it. I even managed to win over one player who wasn't sold on the system. I consider that an absolute win!

Thanks for checking it out, and we hope you enjoy!

Production values seem pretty decent. Quite a lot of combat for a Masks AP, which is unusual to see. The PCs were taking a lot more Powerful Blows than I'm used to, most of the games I've played or listened too saw more of a slow exchange of conditions stacking up from Directly Engage A Threat moves and then Powerful Blows arising from opportunities on either side. Might just be me, though.

MalyNym

Villager
Production values seem pretty decent. Quite a lot of combat for a Masks AP, which is unusual to see. The PCs were taking a lot more Powerful Blows than I'm used to, most of the games I've played or listened too saw more of a slow exchange of conditions stacking up from Directly Engage A Threat moves and then Powerful Blows arising from opportunities on either side. Might just be me, though.
I've still got a lot to learn, and I thank you for the feedback! The combat I was leaning toward the book, session 1 prep a villain amd encounter type situation, but yeah, I really need more XP running this system! xD

Ah, you did fine, don't let me get you down. It gets easier with time.

Actually kind of novel to see a big fight early on in a Masks AP, a lot of them go whole sessions without one while the PCs are busy messing with each other's heads.

Remove ads