• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masks of Nyarlathotep D&D Style!

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

Ran MoN last night and wow, very intresting playing in the Forgotten Reams & Running MoN. Lots of RPG'ing with only one combat occuring through out the time we played. The only combat that did occure was between the bloody tongue and the Character's at Jackson Elieas's Room at the copper correnet. Every thing else was running around Baldur's Gate getting following clues to what happened to the Carlyle Expidition. Basically I plan to Replace Newyork with Baldurs Gate, London with Silverymoon, Egypt with Calimshan, Shanghai with Daggerfall's and Kenya with Chult. I'll still use Nyarlathotep but he will be Cyric, Sseth and of course the Black Pharaoh. Anybody else attempt to run this one in a D&D like enviriorment?

Scott

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
No, though I badly want to take another look at it (and Victorian COC in general; I'm less a fan of default-era COC) once d20 Past comes out.

How did you incorporate a low-magic COC scenario into the high-magic Forgotten Realms? What adjustments did you make?

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
<<How did you incorporate a low-magic COC scenario into the high-magic Forgotten Realms? What adjustments did you make?>>

Not alot of adjustments actually, just renaming cities, having the d20 CoC book handy for spell casted by the bad guys. Changed the handouts to reflect the times. For example one NPC named Kenszington, a good friend of jackson Elias, is in my FR campaign a cleric of Helm who keeps records of cult activity, Jackson would send him missives on his travel's to verious Cult sites of suspect.

As for low magic, I just kept the magic to a low roar.

Scott

jester47

First Post
Doomed Battalions, you stole my idea. Shame on you! The only difference is I would have used Waterdeep for London, Shanghai with Westgate. My first inclination would be to put Egypt in Mulhorand, but you are right, Cairo is more arabian which fits much better with calimport. However if there are any egyptian style tombs there, I would send them to Raurin, just for kicks. I also think that the Now I just have to find a copy of "masks"

Marius Delphus said:
How did you incorporate a low-magic COC scenario into the high-magic Forgotten Realms? What adjustments did you make?
The Forgotten Realms are high magic? D&D in general is high magic.

Rather, lets look at it this way- to get some of the same conveniences as one would be able to get in the 1890's or 1920's wouldn't the magic level of the Forgotten Realms be about right? If technology is seen as an analog for magic (that is the effects and benefits are roughly the same) then CoC is in fact a high magic world. Its just that there are a bunch of "bad Ju Ju" spells running around.

Aaron.

vox

First Post
I haven't read masks in ages but the "high magic/low magic" problems that creep up most commonly when I try to adapt something like CoC are:

1) people can move around extremely quickly with teleport (no '30s style events happening on a cross-continent journey).

2) people have access to information that the original module doesn't account for (speak w/dead, contact other plane, scrying).

3) people can raise the dead and no one thinks it is especially weird.

Does MoN present a lot of these problems? What are your work arounds (of course, depending on the level of your characters it may not be as big a deal)?

Thanks

PS. I agree, the default for D&D is high-magic.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
vox said:
I haven't read masks in ages but the "high magic/low magic" problems that creep up most commonly when I try to adapt something like CoC are:

1) people can move around extremely quickly with teleport (no '30s style events happening on a cross-continent journey).

No, In my campaign, the players are starting out at 4th level, so teleport will not be available to them most likely towards the very end of the campaign, around 12th level.

vox said:
2) people have access to information that the original module doesn't account for (speak w/dead, contact other plane, scrying).

Sure its available, but as the DM, I gotta make such access as togh as possible and the info as vague as possible.

vox said:
3) people can raise the dead and no one thinks it is especially weird..

Of course not, it's D&D.

vox said:
Does MoN present a lot of these problems? What are your work arounds (of course, depending on the level of your characters it may not be as big a deal)?

Well, making the dates jive is a chore, for example, its 1372 Year of the Wild Mage, The month of Mirtul, now I have to do reverse mechanics, so lets say in MoN the players find a letter dated jan 4th 1919, and the current year is 1925, The current FR year is 1372, so in FR years, the letter would be dated 1366, good times indeed.

As far as work arounds, I'm taking each chapter at a time, so for example, convert the Newyork chapter to Baldursgate with some leads branching off to Silverymoon(london) and Calimport (Cairo), The Hardest part is converting the spells and magical items a very montyhaul centric module. As for who is gonna be Nyarlethotep, I'm thinking Gargauth from FR's faith and Pantheons should fit the bill just right.

QUOTE=vox]Thanks

PS. I agree, the default for D&D is high-magic.[/QUOTE]

I think FR or Greyhawk would be the perfect place for this huge and awesome adventure, just working over the notes though is a real pain, but well worth it for a great game.

Scott

Beaudice

First Post
Hi-

Ran MoN last night and wow, very intresting playing in the Forgotten Reams & Running MoN. Lots of RPG'ing with only one combat occuring through out the time we played. The only combat that did occure was between the bloody tongue and the Character's at Jackson Elieas's Room at the copper correnet. Every thing else was running around Baldur's Gate getting following clues to what happened to the Carlyle Expidition. Basically I plan to Replace Newyork with Baldurs Gate, London with Silverymoon, Egypt with Calimshan, Shanghai with Daggerfall's and Kenya with Chult. I'll still use Nyarlathotep but he will be Cyric, Sseth and of course the Black Pharaoh. Anybody else attempt to run this one in a D&D like enviriorment?

Scott
Yeah I'm actually working on this right now in eberron using the Daelkyr as my mythos monster. You may want to check Sandy Peterson's Methos for 5e, it will cover a lot of mater to help you convert spells, artifacts and monsters into 5e more easily. Not exactly sure yet but I'm thinking sharn for New York city, Arcanix for London, and Storm reach in Xendric

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads