• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masque of the Red Death comments?

qstor

Adventurer
Erica, You might be able to patch together a game using CoC d20 rules and some of the D&D monsters and rules. I'd recommend picking up the old 2e boxed set as a .pdf if its cheaper simply for the background.

The fright check rules and the 2e boxed set, the CoC book or/and the free RPGA supplement with the PHB, IMHO are pretty much all you need. :)

EDIT: You should try and get someone to run one of the Living Death mods as a feel for the game, if you still play RPGA stuff now and again :)

Mike

Drowbane

First Post
DnDChick said:
A few more questions.

How pervasive is magic in the "Gothic Earth" setting they describe? Are there magic shops in Manhattan? Ladies protecting their skin with the darkness spell instead of parasols? Or is magic largely unknown except to a precious few?

How easy would it be to run it without the magic-using classes, or running it after "converting" the magic using classes into D20 Modern-style advanced classes?

I don't have my Masque of the Red Death with me... all my 2e is in storage :p

But if I remember correctly, Magic was really rare and (compared to D&D) really weak. Most (if not all) of the major flashy spells were just removed. No Fireball, No teleportation of any kind, etc. 90% of the population doesn't believe in Magic or things that go bump in the night. Kinda like in X-files :D

And it's also all ritual casting. No new mechanics, really, but a spell on Gothic Earth takes MUCH longer to cast than its D&D equivalent. Magic is relegated to shamanic lodges and the Golden Dawn, rather than independent casters mostly.

Remove ads