• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mass Harm?

Magic Rub

First Post
Can Mass Harm be found in any book?

I was running a Great Green Dragon last night & wanted to use "Mass Harm" on the PC's (the dragon would have then healed himself with a partial action from haste). One of the PC' got rather miffed at the thought of it, because I couldn't recall if it was in a WotC book or not. So I didn't bother with the idea, & just cast harm a few times to end the issue...

(as a side note this same player uses Mass Heal against droves of undead all the time in a different campaign that I have a character in - healing our PC's & Killing mass amounts of bad guys in the proccess. Ironic.)

...Harm/Mass Harm or not the Dragon still SPANKED!!!!! them. TPK :D , No worries they had a backup plan & are all True Res'd. Nothing all that bad just hurt ego's & a quest to get there gear back.

Any how back to the question...

HomerJS

First Post
Ugh if some DM decided to use a mass harm spell i would probobly not play his campeign. 1st round tpk's are lame. anyways why would a dragon heal himself after mass harm when he could just breath on them or use a AoE spell that did more then 4 pts of damage.

To me it sounds like you just want to kill your party. If its part of the story thats cool but if not i wouldnt be back at your table.

Magic Rub

First Post
HomerJS said:
Ugh if some DM decided to use a mass harm spell i would probobly not play his campeign. 1st round tpk's are lame.

It wasn't a first round TPK, it would have been a 12th round TPK with a mass harm. In the end it was a 16th round TPK. (but like I said they are all alive with only a little less gear to show for it. )

HomerJS said:
anyways why would a dragon heal himself after mass harm when he could just breath on them or use a AoE spell that did more then 4 pts of damage.

They were immune to his breath weapon & I wanted to give them a chance to run.

HomerJS said:
To me it sounds like you just want to kill your party. If its part of the story thats cool but if not i wouldnt be back at your table.

It is all very much a part of the story. The party is currently in a realm that is ruled / protected by 8 Great Wryms. So death & TPK's are a fact of life. The PC's are very aware of this fact & have taken steps to prevent total death (and the end of the story). So for the most part Death is just a pain in the butt.

So about that mass harm thing?

GrassyKnoll

First Post
Never seen Mass Harm/Heal, but not flicked through the Epic Level Book (may be a point buy thing in that) why not ask your friend who was chucking the Mass Heals around where he got THAT from?

Mass Heal would be a Very high level spell seeing as how Healing Circle is a 5th level spell and is the equivalent of Mass Cure Light Wounds, meaning Mass Heal (if allowed) would be 10th at least.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
GrassyKnoll said:
Never seen Mass Harm/Heal, but not flicked through the Epic Level Book (may be a point buy thing in that) why not ask your friend who was chucking the Mass Heals around where he got THAT from?

Mass Heal would be a Very high level spell seeing as how Healing Circle is a 5th level spell and is the equivalent of Mass Cure Light Wounds, meaning Mass Heal (if allowed) would be 10th at least.

Mass Heal is in the PHB.

Mass Heal
Conjuration (Healing)

Level: Clr 8, Drd 9, Healing 8

Components: V, S

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Targets: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The character channels positive energy into creatures to wipe away disease and injury. It completely cures all diseases, blindness, deafness, hit point damage, and all temporary ability damage. It neutralizes poisons in the subject’s system, so that no additional damage or effects are suffered. It offsets a feeblemind spell. It cures those mental disorders caused by spells or injury to the brain. Only a single application of the spell is needed to simultaneously achieve all these effects.

Heal does not remove negative levels, restore permanently drained levels, or restore permanently drained ability scores.

If used against undead creatures (requires a successful touch attack), mass heal reduces them to 1d4 hp.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Magic Rub said:
Not that I've ever seen, I'm happy to say. It'd be a one-round TPK for any halfway intelligent caster. (Even without haste, all he needs is an ally or summoned creature who can cast unholy blight. One- or two-round TPK, no saves.)

GrassyKnoll

First Post
*kerplunk...fizzzzzzzzzzzzzbutttt...peeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrop!*

That is the sound of me removing my entire leg from my backside after kicking myself soundly in the bottom.

*bows to Caliban*

*runs off quickly*

gfunk

First Post
Magic Rub said:

Mass Harm was in a recent article of new spells in Dragon. However, it was explicitly for healing undead and it said it couldn't be used to inflict damage.

HomerJS

First Post
heheh i would be 1st round tpk'ing everyone. mass harm followed by power word kill or horid wilting. maximized magic missle to 5 different targets. basiclly any spell that does more then 8 points of damage that can hit multiple targets.

Anthron

First Post
Looking at the description of Mass Heal it looks like the spell could not be used to reduce a large amount of Undead to 1d4 HP. It requires a touch attack so it's effect would be the same as a regular Heal spell.

I would run Mass Harm the same way, able to heal a large number of undead but requiring a touch attack to cast upon a live creature.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads