• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Master the Probabilities with ProbUtil(reviewer wanted)

JustABill

First Post
Introducing ProbUtil, the Probability Utility Program. This D20 System Windows program applies the laws of probability to the rules of the D20 System. This assists the user in making decisions that maximize his/her characters potential.

Should you use the +3 Short Sword you just found, or the Long Sword in which you have Weapon Focus and Specialization. Should you use Power Attack against this particular opponent? What about Rapid Shot or Expertise? Which feat will help you character most when he/she gains another level? This product will assist in these decisions.

Compare attack sequences with various weapons and feats in terms of damage potential. Compute the best use of Power Attack and Rapid Shot to do the most damage on average, against a given opponent. Compute the best settings to down a given opponent this round, or down the most opponents this round, maximizing your use of Cleave and Great Cleave.

ProbUtil is now available on DriveThruRPG and RPGNow. Also, I am looking for a reviewer to take a look at this product. If you are a regular reviewer, who has an interest in the mathematical aspects of the game, please reply to this thread and I'll see about getting you a copy of the program for evaluation.

Redrobes

First Post
Forgive me for saying so but for me the whole point in playing D&D is to make those kind of decisions. I like to use a certain kind of weapon because I think my character would or it would fit in with his personality. The rules are a framework within which you can gauge the outcome of your role playing not the other way around. When you use the rules to find out how your character would act then you have lost the point of the game. Maybe your character would use the magic sword just because it is magical. Personally I doubt anyone with full weapon specialization would use any other weapon if there was a choice even if that means not using the magic one. If every decision was based upon maximizing the probabilities to a set of possibilities then all of your characters would be soulless and very similar.

The only reason I can see for such a program is to use it as a DM and check that your party characters are balanced based on pure probability or as a tool to bat down that annoying player who whines that hes so feeble compared to the other characters but generally you know whether that is true or not and life is never quite so uniformly balanced anyway.

Maybe if all your players maximize their probabilities it might balance out but it seems a dull
way to play if you ask me.

A long time ago my party hauled a load of gold out of some dungeon and each spent it on a pet monkey and got custom tuxedos made for them just to blow it all on useless crap. Thats the kind of role playing that cant be optimized out from the rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads