• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masters of Magic

RigaMortus2

First Post
If anyone is interested in trying a great old game, try and find a copy of Masters of Magic by Microprose (who is the company responisble for making Masters of Orion). The game is a turn-by-turn strategy game with heavy influeces of magic the gathering. Its very fun once you learn the rules of the game (the learning curve is kind of hard at first).

Master of Magic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pyrex

First Post
Master of Magic rocks.

If you're looking for something more recent the two 'Age of Wonders' games could easily be described as spiritual successors to Master of Magic.

*wonders what ever happened to the copy he purchased on 3.5" floppies when it first came out...*

Jasperak

Adventurer
Magic the Gathering + Civilization = Very Interesting

I am installing it on my DOS computer now. I could not get it to work on my XP machine. Damn Extended Memory BS.

Matchstick

Adventurer
What are the settings you need for DOSBox?

I've never needed DOSBox, I just run it on XP. I keep it on a USB drive and play it off of there so it's never far away. I honestly don't think I've done anything special to get it to work, other than maybe making a shortcut with extended memory.

Here's your instructions. Get the files and unzip them into a folder. There's no need to run the installation. Create a shortcut to the file Magic.exe in that folder.

Right click on the shortcut and choose Properties. On the Memory tab you should be able to change the amount of Expanded (EMS) memory to whatever you'd like. Set it to 8192 (for example). Say OK and double click the shortcut to run the game. Not sure about sound, but the game should run just fine.

Hope that helps. This is a game that's absolutely worth that little bit of effort.

:cool:

Choranzanus

Explorer
Master of Magic is masterpiece of game design. I have been playing this game for years on DOSbox and it never gets old. There are so many possible strategies how to play the game, I just have to try all of them. Some of these strategies are totally overpowering to the poor AI wizards, but I just try something else and theres always fun to be had. Big advantage over games like Civilization is there is less micromanagement and endgame that doesn't feel too tedious.

Remove ads