Masters of the Wild: First Impressions

Voneth

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:

No can do. Dinosaurs are not animals, so the animal lord PrCl doesn't apply to them.

heh heh, that's why I said my DM would can the concept, especialy if he brought his dino into a typical fantasy world. However if the campaign was a "lost world" setting, things may be different. One could reason that Dire animals would be the beast and dinos the animals.

Fast Learner

First Post
Re: Favorite Class Book yet

psionotic said:
-Far less errata than some previous books, although I have found two instances so far: The Deepwood Sniper gets Keen Arrows at first level according to the chart and description. But the chart also shows 'keen edge' as a 6th level ability that isn't referenced in the class description.

Also, the Snakelord (animal lord) gets the Resist Poison feat as their first totem, but the same feat is listed as a requirement for the class. (I'm guessing that one or the other was supposed to be Great Fortitude?)

And as I previously mentioned, on page 23 the table describing the benefits of Faster Healing of ability score points has some kind of error, though I'm not sure which item is wrong.

Under "Complete Bed Rest" and "With Faster Healing and LOng-Term Care from a Successful Heal Check" it shows that 3 points are recovered. Yet without Faster Healing ("Normal and Long-Term Care from a Successful Heal Check") you recover 4 points. One of those must be wrong, which then leads me to suspect that the whole "2 2 2" and "3 3 3" lines may be wrong (bizarre that they don't go up).

Where are we supposed to send errata?

Power_Munchkin

First Post
hm

So far it seems to be mechanically solid and errata free.
Hah! That's a good one...

Try the pre-req for Hexer - lightning bolt as a divine spell.

That's just off the top of my head, there are a couple of other ones that I've noticed...

Storm Raven

First Post
Re: hm

Power_Munchkin said:

That's just off the top of my head, there are a couple of other ones that I've noticed...

Umm yeah? So? You do realize that Adepts can cast Lightning Bolt as a divine spell don't you? It isn't that hard to qualify for this pre-requisite, and it appears not to be unintentional or something that needs errata.

Perhaps you would be able to evaluate the book better if you actually knew the rules.

Psion

Adventurer
Re: hm

Power_Munchkin said:

Translation: You must be an adept to take this class, unless your DM allows some other class or domain with this ability.

Just what is the error here, because I don't see it?

Acmite

First Post
Air Domain?

Hmmmm....Clerics with the Air Domain get Chain Lightning as their 6th level domain spell.

I would think that many a kindly DM would allow this to be used to satisfy the pre-req.

Or, create your own domain (for a Storm god, maybe?) that has Lightning Bolt on it's spell list.

I agree with some of the above poster, though. This PrC (for whatever reason) seems designed for Adepts, and I don't think it needs errata concerning this.

But I don't see the harm in allowing Clerics to take it, although they should have to be much higher level than the Adepts who qualify.

My 2 copper ingots.

Christian

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Insight on release date

Claude Raines said:
I also ordered from Amazon. They're telling me to expect it to be shipped either Feb. 12th or 13th (yes, last week), but that it hasn't been shipped yet. :( I wish I was as lucky as you.

UPS tracking says the package arrived at their sorting center 20 miles from here around 3 AM this morning, and it's on a truck right now.

There's really no reason for me to post that, other than to rub it in. :D

(I wonder if my boss will let me leave early today? UPS usually leaves stuff on the back porch when I'm not home ... Gotta watch out for those darn neighboorhood kids.)

Mrose

First Post
Personally...

I think this book is wonderful. Makes Druids, Barbarians, and Rangers viable as standalone classes which (in my opinion) they were not previously when viewed from a class "power" standpoint. That alone makes this book worth buying IMHO.

Michael Tree

First Post
Re: Air Domain?

Acmite said:
Hmmmm....Clerics with the Air Domain get Chain Lightning as their 6th level domain spell.

I would think that many a kindly DM would allow this to be used to satisfy the pre-req.

I don't know about that. The hexer is probably too powerful for clerics. A cleric gives up only undead turning, and gains a fighter's BAB, some very nice hexing powers, and 5 wizard spells of his choice! Eep.

That said, a cleric with the FR Spell domain could also qualify, as the 6th level spell Greater Anyspell could be used to prepare and cast a divine lightning bolt.

Shugenja from OA also qualify, having lightning bolt as a 4th level spell, and making out like bandits if they take hexer levels.

Acmite

First Post
Synicism said:
True, though Masters of the Wild changed that and made Awakened companions count against your hit die total for animal companions.

AFAICT, you still have the option of using Leadership instead of the Animal Friendship spell. If the awakened animal (now a magical beast) is willing to stay with you (ie: still friendly, which MotW says it remains) and you have the Leadership feat, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to keep that beast as a Cohort. Treat the beast as any other type of intelligent creature.

I think the main reason they added that sentence was to make Awaken a more viable spell for Druids with crappy Cha or druids who were unwilling (or able) to take the Leadership feat. Personally, I think this goes against the spirit and intent of the spell (as indicated to me by the Sage in an email in Sept. 2000--he basically said the reason they made the spell was for Druids to use the Leadership feat on an awakened companion who could then take class levels).

Oh...and BUMP.

Remove ads