• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masters of the Wild: First Impressions

Acmite

First Post
Does your Single-classed Wizard attack Giants with his greatsword?

Grendel said:
I would like to officially join the new "toughness" feats su><ors bandwagon.

I can see them not wanting fighters to get a bunch of dragons toughness, and there for the high level requirements to get it. But why keep those bonus feats from the classes that really need them (wizards, sorcerers, rogues, bards), is a little harsh.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand this statement, and simliar statements made by other people who share your opinion......What kind of game do you play where Sorcerors and Wizards are front-line fighters?

Single classed Wizards, Sorcerors, and to a lesser extent Rogues and Bards, are not designed to be up front fighting off hordes of enemies. That's what fighters et al are for.

The only classes that really need more hit points are the ones who throw them away in every major encounter--the melee fighters.

Again, what kind of campaign do you play in?

Ruvion

First Post
Although I agree that fighting classes should benefit the most for having lots of hps, the spellcasters also need some hps just to survive. I think that is the beef that some people have with the new toughness feats. The much needed hps (for low hp spellcasters) from a feat is only available at higher levels, and toughness chosen at 1st level runs out of steam fast.

Last edited:

Malin Genie

First Post
It seems really strange to me (and living in the Antipodes, I don't yet have access to the book) that an 'Eye of Gruumsh' PC should require proficiency and focus in the Orc Double Axe when Gruumsh's favoured weapon is the spear...

..and why on earth would Orcs use Double Axes? They're not a particularly dextrous race, so the average (or even most elite orcs) would not be likely to qualify for Ambidexterity feat, which you need to use a double weapon properly....

Oh well.

MG (whose half-orc barbarian uses a spear, the traditional way :) )

Jalkain

First Post
Andor said:

My favorite Prestige classes from MotW have to be the rangerish ones. Animal Lords, Master of Beasts and Windriders are all very very cool.

-Andor

But...surely that means...that rangers didn't get the shaft in MotW! It cannot be so! ;-)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Andor said:
Not much for Wilderness lore, not that it needs it.

...snip...

There is some stuff for animal empathy and a pile of information for handle animals.

That's about it as I recall.

Thanks for the information. I beg to differ about wilderness lore, since I think the tracking component of it would benefit from being greatly expanded - in literature it is vital for avoiding ambushes, for instance. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to write some of my own stuff for it now :)

Cheers

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Trellian said:

So you have Tom, the elven Dwarven Defender? lol... kidding.. I guess you change the name and all.. I do not mind racial prestige classes, and am looking forward to a splatbooks with prestige classes for the various demihumans... and please.. make one book for ALL demihuman races, and not one for each.. that would've been to 2ed for me..

I think if they make one for one race they should make one for every race. Note I don't limit these splat-books to demihumans, I say all the freakin main races. I want the big book of humans, I mean geez are only demihumans racist enough to exclude other races. Where is the racial pride of humans in your world. Seriously even though they are the default race in a world of many races humans would be just as likely to develop certain prestige classes that are unique to their racial and cultural bailities as elves, dwarves, halflings, etc.

I always thought it was cool how earthdawn did this, and I always felt d&d should follow suit.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Crothian said:

No, the only requirements are :
Dwarf Toughness: Fort +5
Giant Toughness: Fort +8
Dragon Toughness: Fort +11

Kind of makes sense to be able to trade one Toughness feat for another as you become more fortituous, doesn't it?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Shard O'Glase said:

I think if they make one for one race they should make one for every race. Note I don't limit these splat-books to demihumans, I say all the freakin main races. I want the big book of humans, I mean geez are only demihumans racist enough to exclude other races. Where is the racial pride of humans in your world. Seriously even though they are the default race in a world of many races humans would be just as likely to develop certain prestige classes that are unique to their racial and cultural bailities as elves, dwarves, halflings, etc.

I always thought it was cool how earthdawn did this, and I always felt d&d should follow suit.

It strikes me that the reason they don't make them all "generic" in nature is to provide examples of how Prestige Classes can be used to create distinctive cultures amongst the races in D&D. The assumption is that the individual DM will be able to easily change the fluff text to suit his vision of the character concept. I feel it's better to provide such examples than to try to please everyone at once by making all Prestige Classes somehow "official" for all races. That can be readily accomplished at the individual DM level. Just because the requirements or description say one thing in the "official" book doesn't render the class unalterable to change for the DM in his campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads