Masterwork Mithril, Armor check penalty?

Wolf72

Explorer
CRGreathouse said:
Dragon magazine was wrong. The DMG is in need of errata to its errata.

lol, makes one wonder sometimes.

next question: are all special materials handled the same (MW quality does not affect enhancement/ACP) or are they on a case by case basis?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Wolf72 said:
are all special materials handled the same (MW quality does not affect enhancement/ACP) or are they on a case by case basis?

I don't know. I'd like to think so, but I would guess not.

trentonjoe

Explorer
Here's my two cents:

I think forging weapons or armor out of a "special" material is a difficult process. Only mastersmiths would be able to do it and even they don't get many oppurtunities to do it soooooooo

Any special material crafted would be of the masterwork variety. Thus it would be enchantable.

However, Masterwork status wouldn't stack with the material special properties. A special material weapon that HAS an attack bonus would not recieve another attack bonus due to masterwork (or further reduction in weight, ACP, spell chance failure, etc.) but the weapon would recieve the masterwork bonus if there was no inherent "material" bonus as long as it made sense (ie a gold weapon would not be lighter).

hope that makes sense

Wolf72

Explorer
edited

so a mithral mace would get the +1 enhancement to attk because it doesn't have any other enhancements to attk?

if so, that seems like a logical and reasonable way to do things.

for prices (my 2cp worth of idea again): I would make all the special materials add the MW cost

MasterWork quality and enhancement bonuses. [House rule]
Items made from special materials are always considered MW for purposes of enhancement. The do no always gain the MW enhancements though. If an item has an enhancement bonus to attk (weapons) or Armor Check Penalty/ACP then that item does not gain a MW bonus [the two Do Not stack]. If the item doesn’t have the afore-mentioned bonuses then it does gain the MW enhancement. If a special material has a negative modifier (jade/obsidian) the MW component does stack (so that –2 attk becomes a –1). Some items in the DMG do not have the 150/300gp price added in (mithral), so be sure to add that in as well.

okay, so I think that's where you were going NJ-Joe?

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
I couldn't have said it any better.

Although I might not have put a hyphen in aforementioned.

The xtra 300 gp isn't that big a deal to me, if you're spending 7,000gp on a gold sword that isn't magical the xtra 300 is almost an insult.

I'll leave the price stuff for you guys though. I'm just excited to have rules for my new painted miniature with a gold sword!

jdfrenzel

First Post
Mithral weight?

Something that has puzzled me is the weight of armor and shield items. It specifies that weapons weigh half, but makes no mention of armor.

But the weight of a mithral shirt is listed as 10 lbs, 40% normal, while a large mithral shield is listesd as 5 lbs, or 33% normal. I've house-ruled that anything mithral weighs half, but I'd like to get some official clarification about all the special materials.

--- John

Remove ads