• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masterwork or magic *rocks*?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I know it's the oldest schtick in D&D, but I'm having a ball with my Intelligence 5 half-ogre fighter/barbarian. I just took my 11th character level in War Hulk, and looking ahead I get rock throwing.

So that made me start wondering: are there any official WotC rules for constructing masterwork ammunition for throwing by giants, specifically rocks, or if my DM allows it, something akin to a cannonball? Or catapult/trebuchet loads? (Heroes of Battle, maybe?)

If there aren't any official splatbook words on the subject, what do people think about allowing it? My thought is to get one of these and enchant it with the returning property ... even a half-ogre can't easily be carting around multiple 50-pound rocks.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Sounds like fun :)

I don't see the difference between what you're proposing and enhancing sling stones - except size, of course! You'll need to get the stone specially crafted for masterwork quality (which, as both a large and an usual weapon, I'd probably charge more for if I were the DM), but then it would be the normal enhancement rules all the way.

I'm not aware of any specific rules covering this, however.

Notmousse

First Post
HoB has some rules as you guessed. Personally though I'd just buy a large quantity of metal (adamantine if you can afford it), put a rank into craft, and borrow a forge...

On second thought pay for it to be crafted, and enchanted... less hassle that way. Might even be able to get away with a colossal orc shotput.

But please, for all that is good grab yourself a few of the special shots, such as the various alchemical shots (yes, shot versions of alchemists fire, acid flasks, etc...).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads