• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Material Components...do you use them?

How do you use Material Components...

• Not at all. It is assumed that you pick them up here and there.

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I only pay attention to expensive, rare, or unusual components.

Votes: 54 59.3%
  • By the book.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I use some other method.

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Poll closed .

Super_Troll

First Post
In 20 years I've never used material components...with the exception of super expensive ones like 5000gp gems. What about you? I'm especially curious to hear how their use (or lack of use) effects balance...

hammymchamham

First Post
If the cost is 0 (as in a listed object without a cost), I assume they pick them up while in town. If it has a cost more than 0, then they better tell me they're buying it and list it on their sheets, otherwise they can't cast the spell. So by the book.

I even try to describe my charecter is doing as he casts a spell by listing the componets

bret

First Post
Just want to point out that By the Book, if a Wizard or Sorcerer has a Spell Component Pouch they are assumed to have stocked it with the cheap spell components.

Bhaal

First Post
I 'tax' the spellcasters every now and then. I take an educated guess at the amount of materials of nominal price they've been using up for spellcasting, and say they lose X gold to restock on the costly stuff. Other than that, provided they have their usual gear with them, we pretty much ignore spell componants. I guess you could put me somewhere inbetween "don't care at all" and "keep track of costly stuff".

I'm not sure why, I'm fine with the idea of needing newt eyes and a grain of corn or whatever, but man the spellcasters are already bogged down with stuff to keep track of. That's the main issue I guess: too much overhead.

Last edited:

Gaiden

Explorer
I am surprised more people don't go strictly by the book for material components. Why: because they are a vital balancing aspect to the game. That is not to say that only components for expensive spells are important either. It seems to me that it is not always possible just to go back to town and restock (after all, this is not a roleplaying video game). Rather one ought to keep track of exactly what components one has on his/her person so as to know exactly how many times a certain spell can be cast.

IDHMBWM but let me point out a few examples:

Shield Other requires both the caster and the recipient to be wearing a platinum ring. If either gets hit with acid, the ring is probably toast, which would end the spell. Also, unless everyone in the party had the ring, the cleric can only cast the spell on certain people. Finally, an enterprising rogue with a bit of spell knowledge might try to take the ring off in combat with pickpockets while invisible.

Take any spell with a natural component, like say a blade of grass/hay, or some such thing. Consider a group that goes into the underdark and gets trapped there.

Consider any spell that has a focus (not something that is consumed by the casting), whether it be arcane or divine. Even if the focus is cheap, without it no spells.

The reason why I say that not just expensive components, but all components, are a necessary balancing factor is a product of how I game. When its "vs. spellcasters", there are certain key ways to combat them: silence, grappling, prolonged damage, etc.

One of those ways is to strike an object and go for either the spell component pouch (hopefully separating it from the spellcaster) or the specific component in hand. When doing this unarmed, the object would then be in your hands.

Finally, if you are not keeping track of components that you are probably not keeping track of the move equivalent actions necearry to retrieve the components for casting spells. When components are stored anywhere other than in your hand, in a Heward's Handy Haversack, or in a Glove of storing, it would require a move equivalent action to get the components from your pouch, spell component pouch, or wherever, per the retrieving an item rules (hence the rule about not being able to cast any spells with M in a grapple unless they are in hand). Again, this is a very necessary part of balancing spellcasters as they are by far the most powerful characters in the game. Again, there are ways to get around this (and I would rule, as with a weapon, that you could retrieve spell components in a spell component pouch while moving), but they are still there.

Pax

Banned
Banned
I currently play it "by the book", but am working on ways to adjust that. Largely, if a Wizard (etc) has the requisite Spell Component Pouch, most or all of their spellcasitng components are to-hand and can be ignored. As for the more-expensive stuff; I'm thinking of ways to adjust how they work, so that you can cst the spell WITHOUT those components, foci, and so on ... but HAVING (and using) them, gives you some sort of boost in some way (perhaps based on the metamagicks, like an inherent Empower, if your fireball consumes a Ruby worth 10gp/caster level during casting ... for a quick off-the-cuff example).

I also give Sorcerors the "eschew materials" feat for free at 1st level, as a stylistic thing (as it saves them all of, what, 25gp of starting gear ...).

OTOH, I really prefer the WOT/d20 rules for Channelling over D&D's spellcasting. By a WIDE margin.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
By, the book, and I only pay attention to rare, etc are one i the same really. 5gp gets you a pouch, maybe spend another 5gp here and there when you get low. Low being whenever the DM feels like it. The pouch covers anything that isn't rare, costly etc.

Anyhoo the only time it really comes up is is when they are held captive, searched, thrown into a river or other such crap where I mess with people gear in general.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads