• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mathematical analysis of Cthulhu d20

hong

WotC's bitch
gustavef said:
Well, as I have always been thaught:

There are Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

Oi! This is a thread for bashing mathematicians, not staticians, thankyewverymuch.

Hong (statistician)

Eben

First Post
***Warning***Warning***Warning***

Warning! Following the above link may be nefarious for you mental stability.
Before following the above link, please read "Dreams in th witch house" by HPL.

;)

nsruf

First Post
hong said:
Oi! This is a thread for bashing mathematicians, not staticians, thankyewverymuch.

Hey! I hope it is neither! Let's bash people who don't read the rules carefully and overlook "death from massive damage at 10 hp" instead;) Although, to be honest, I had hoped for hp-less Cthulhu as well...

Dan Stack

First Post
The hit points system does make a certain degree of sense to me. Since there is no dodge roll in the d20 system (unlike Chaosium's rules), the hit points simulate a characters dodge skill gradually going up - let's be honest, a character is going to dodge at least once per adventure, so odds are that skill is going to go up.

As for the old Professor improving in combat... I imagine such a character probably has no weapon proficiency feats so -4 to hit right off the bat. He will also most likely use the defense option so it will not be until 8th level that the attack bonus hits +4 to cancel that out. Add a strength or dexterity penatly, both quite likely if you decrease physical stats as the character age goes up and you have a character who even at 9th-10th level pretty much stinks at combat, comparable to a 1st level character who takes weapon feats and the offense option.

The only thing I miss is it is fun to make a dodge roll! :D (I know one can use the D&D optional rule of having the defender roll a d20 but it's not the same...)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads