• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Matrix like monk?

SteelDraco

First Post
green slime said:
So are you using the OA for your monk?
Yeah - the OA monk is the standard monk in our games now. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

I was wondering where the monk 1 feat came from. Looking over OA, I saw that they get to choose a feat from table 6-1 to replace stunning fist. I also noticed that Power Attack isn't on table 6-1.
Look at the headings - Power Attack and Expertise are both on there. At least, that's how my DM and I have understood the table. I'll admit it's a bit strange, but otherwise, why are they there?

Personally I think this character should have Strength as their highest stat, to save a feat (weapon finesse).
Eh. If I was going to build a high-Str monk, I'd make a half-ogre sumo wrestler. I prefer high Dex and Finesse, since you get skill and AC bonuses with that. Claws of the Bear lets me do pretty impressive damage already.

I find that the Unavoidable Strike types of feats are too expensive at low levels. Speed of Thought with a maxed out Tumble would perhaps be more useful.
Actually, the decision I had trouble making with this character was whether I should pick up the Unavoidable Strike tree or Spring Attack. I went with Unavoidable Strike 'cause it seemed interesting, and IME, the Spring Attack stuff just isn't as nice in play as it looks on paper.

My intention with Unavoidable Strike was to use it on charges, since he's set up to do a devastating charge. Sandals of Tiger's Leap, Flying Kick, Claws of the Bear, and Power Attack mean I can hit for... 3d12+30 on a charge. Unavoidable Strike is for when I need that to hit.

green slime

First Post
SteelDraco said:
Look at the headings - Power Attack and Expertise are both on there. At least, that's how my DM and I have understood the table. I'll admit it's a bit strange, but otherwise, why are they there?

Sheesh. I double checked that table before posting, and I missed that heading line completely both times. It looks very strange. But given table 6-2 I'd have to agree with you on that one.

SteelDraco said:
Claws of the Bear lets me do pretty impressive damage already.

Yes indeed...

SteelDraco said:
Actually, the decision I had trouble making with this character was whether I should pick up the Unavoidable Strike tree or Spring Attack. I went with Unavoidable Strike 'cause it seemed interesting, and IME, the Spring Attack stuff just isn't as nice in play as it looks on paper.

Spring attack is pretty much repeatable with a high enough tumble score anyway. And it doesn't improve your ability to deal damage, which Unavoidable strike will. Seems like a good choice.

SteelDraco said:
My intention with Unavoidable Strike was to use it on charges, since he's set up to do a devastating charge. Sandals of Tiger's Leap, Flying Kick, Claws of the Bear, and Power Attack mean I can hit for... 3d12+30 on a charge. Unavoidable Strike is for when I need that to hit.

Sound excellent.

ivrob

First Post
couldn't answer back, had to go to work and then school. great looks with the psychic aspect of it. i was just toying with the idea of a character like neo. would love to see what i could possibly do with those sunglasses. i am gonna look to get the psionics book, but i'm also gonna look at the arcane way. should be interesting.

Bobbystopholes

First Post
You should look in Dragon, I think it was in the 80s or so, the one about monks. It had "Clan of the Light Foot" or some such. It allowed you to walk up walls, jump from wall to all, etc. as long as on your move you started and ended on a level surface. It had other monk abilities and looked very cool.

DonAdam

Explorer
Weightless Foot, Dragon 289, is all movement abilities. The link in my sig has a dragon mag index that will be updated soon...

It looks like alot of abilities, until you realize that most of them overlap.

Remove ads