• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Mature] Rat Bastard DMing with a Doppleganger

Michael Morris

First Post
So a shift in the time she can blink (or maybe close her eyes and shake her head in fear)...

One thing's for sure - this will make for an intense roleplay scene.

Merkuri

Explorer
Spoony Bard said:
The false you says, "Now Samara, it is time to die."

Ooh ooh... and this is where she screams and the other players barge in, and they now have to figure out which is the real her! Not sure how exactly you'd do this, since having the DM speak for the fake Samara and the player speak for the real one would give it away OOC pretty fast. If you have really dedicated players, willing to screw themselves over for a good plot (and it sounds like you do), you can have Samara's player answer questions for both the real and the fake character.

This is assuming the other characters stop to talk, rather than just thinking they know which is the real Samara and running to attack one or the other. When the dice come out, I suppose you can have Samara's player run both of them in battle, too. That takes some of the control away from you (perhaps you could slip notes to her to let her know what the doppleganger would do in tough situations), but it would really screw with the other players.

Edit: Another thought... don't let the time a doppleganger can change get in your way. If it's more dramatic for him to change in the blink of her eyes, just do it. It's such a tiny detail and the effect will be worth the small twist you'll have to make in the rules. I doubt your players will notice.

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
I'm not concerned about the change time - it's a cool effect so screw the rules.

I'm also tempted to steal the line from the card Dimir Doppleganger - "Don't worry dear, your life won't go unlived."

riprock

First Post
Remathilis said:
Well, I'm not nearly as RBDM on this, since my changling assassin is only going to impersonate the PC, kill his sister, frame the crime on the PC, oh and sleep with the PC's devoted love (an NPC, oh yeah, the changling naturally female) in order to ruin the PC's aspiring political carrier.

Well... maybe I am.

Tut, tut. And folks call me evil when I insist on killing prisoners. They don't know how lucky they are.

This is the kind of thing that makes me glad I keep romance and RPGs in separate compartments of my life.

Remember, kids, your characters are heroes. There will be time enough for romance after they become demi-gods.

shilsen

Adventurer
riprock said:
Remember, kids, your characters are heroes. There will be time enough for romance after they become demi-gods.

And heroes never have any romance in their lives? Seems a very simplistic conception of heroes.

Remove ads