• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maure Castle OOC (Full)

JimAde

First Post
Gah! I hate it when I do that. I thought the Haversack allowed me to draw the scroll like drawing a weapon (can be combined with another move action) but it doesn't. Still takes a Move action, but doesn't provoke an AoO. Curse it! :)

Krauss von Espy

First Post
JimAde,

In response to your comments on the IC thread....

As I understand it, casting a spell from a scroll follows most of the same rules as casting normally. So, yes, you can Cast Defensively, and yes, it will provoke an AOO.

Voadam

Legend
Two rules points/questions.

Does the golem have 15 ft. reach? If only ten foot reach then Silence and Martan should not have drawn AoOs from their movement as they only entered threatened spaces and did not move out of threatened spaces. I'm refraining from looking up the iron golem stats during this fight, and I'm just guessing from the 10 foot base that he has 10 ft reach.

Second. Normally poison is one shot on a blade. This could be a special property of this golem or its blade but normally one use of poison uses it up is my understanding.

JimAde

First Post
Actually I'm pretty sure I did move out of a threatened square, since I had to get fairly close to get to the top of the stairs. I should have flown. :)

Krauss von Espy

First Post
Voadam said:
Two rules points/questions.

Does the golem have 15 ft. reach? If only ten foot reach then Silence and Martan should not have drawn AoOs from their movement as they only entered threatened spaces and did not move out of threatened spaces. I'm refraining from looking up the iron golem stats during this fight, and I'm just guessing from the 10 foot base that he has 10 ft reach.

Second. Normally poison is one shot on a blade. This could be a special property of this golem or its blade but normally one use of poison uses it up is my understanding.

The golem has 10' reach, but in looking at the map, I couldn't see any way for either Martan or Silence to get close enough to touch Tanus or Vandon, respectively, without leaving a threatened space. With 10' reach, the golem should be able to threaten just about every square on the platform, as I understand things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you couldn't move diagonally around a corner (which would be the only way to avoid the AOO, as far as I can see).

Second, this golem's weapon has magical properties that allow it to deliver poison with every blow struck. As you have no doubt surmised, this is a souped-up golem, considerably more dangerous than the garden variety.

I hope that clarifies things.:)

Voadam

Legend
Raw Fyi

Looking more closely at the map the raised platform aspect with the stairs does show that to get to us Silence and Martan would have to go through threatened squares. My error before in thinking they could come in from the sides.

I don't want to retcon the fight but just point out for future reference that under RAW natural attacks don't generally get iterative attacks. I don't know why the designers made natural attacks not subject to iteratives, flurry of blows, etc. but that is just the way it is written. If I had my home campaign to do over I'd house rule that to the way you ran it though and make beasts more dangerous. On the plus side under most interpretations of RAW the DC for the save would be based off Tanus' HD not that of a base rust monster so it would go up considerably (10 + 1/2 HD, +1 Con, +4 racial).

Either way on either issue, you are the DM and I'm happy with how the game is going.

Insight

Adventurer
Hmm, well the Rust Monster getting iterative attacks in an interesting question. The base Rust Monster only has a BAB of +3, so we don't know whether it would get additional attacks based on BAB. It doesn't seem like the antennae are considered a natural attack because it uses the touch mechanic rather than a standard attack roll. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but most natural attacks use standard attack rolls, not touch attacks.

What's also confusing is that when Tanus is polymorphed, he gains the Rust Monster's (Ex) abilities, which for the Rust Monster is just the Rust ability. He should retain his own (Ex) abilities, but this is not explicitly stated in the text of the Polymorph spell. Therefore, Tanus should still have Flurry, which is a nonspellcasting class ability (generally treated as Ex abilities unless otherwise specified). But since this isn't specifically stated in the SRD, it's up to the DM.

Yay that was fun! I hope the poison isn't going to cause any long term damage! Hopefully Silence has some Neutralize Poison memorized, or at least Restoration.

Voadam

Legend
Natural Weapons: Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Likewise, it threatens any space it can reach. Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons.

Manufactured Weapons: Some monsters employ manufactured weapons when they attack. Creatures that use swords, bows, spears, and the like follow the same rules as characters, including those for additional attacks from a high base attack bonus and two-weapon fighting penalties. This category also includes “found items,” such as rocks and logs, that a creature wields in combat— in essence, any weapon that is not intrinsic to the creature.

For an example of a noniterative touch attack check the wraith-dreadwraith entry. BAB +8 full attack = 1 incorporeal touch.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads