• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maure Castle OOC (Full)

Voadam

Legend
And as amusing as it sounds, a Kung Fu rust monster just doesn't seem right. While he retains his own class abilities and only loses racial abilities, I don't think a rust monster can take advantage of flurry with its antennae under RAW.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham).

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet.

Krauss von Espy

First Post
Yeah....

I had to put in a lot of thought as to whether I was handling Tanus' attack correctly in his polymorphed form. Skip Williams has a nice 4-part article series on the WOTC website, under their "Rules of the Game" section, which I read pretty thoroughly. Polymorph (and other change-of-form effects) is a pretty complicated animal.

When all is said and done, I'm going to go ahead and stand behind the way I ran the round. Will I swear that it was handled correctly acording to the RAW? Nope. In fact, after reading the discussion between Voadam and Insight, I'm more confused than ever. There's a very good chance that a mistake was made. But, like you said, Voadam, I don't think anybody wants to go back and retcon the battle. I'll try to do my homework a little better the next time it comes around.

Still, just for kicks, I might throw the question out over on the D&D Rules board, just to see what the masses say.

Thanks for all your input!

Krauss von Espy

First Post
Well, the early returns are coming in to support your take on things, Voadam. It does appear that the Flurry shouldn't have been allowed. Oh, well. Next time I'm DMing a game where a high level monk gets polymorphed into a Rust Monster to take out a revved up Iron Golem, I'll know better...;)

Seriously, I'm not sure you guys understand how amazing it is that you were able to take that thing down at all, let alone with no casualties. That was a CR 16 bad boy, and it never really got the chance to show how devastating it was meant to be.

Chalk it up to Vandon's Golembane Scarab and Martan's electrical affinity mostly...but also good tactics and some favorable die rolls. If the Golem had gotten the chance to make a full attack at any point, the body count would have piled up in a hurry, I'm quite confident.

At any rate, everybody gets 3600 xp for the victory! Well done!

JimAde

First Post
Woo hoo! Sweet.

And just in case anybody's wondering: No, I don't have another one of those scrolls. :)

Regardless of the RAW, I love the Rust Monster Monk. If I had any artistic talent I'd definitely do a sketch. :D

JimAde

First Post
Heads up from me, too: I will be away from the internet (if that makes sense) from Noon today (Eastern US time zone) until Monday. Feel free to NPC me if necessary, and I'll see y'all on Monday.

JimAde

First Post
I just looked at Krauss's profile and his last activity was 7/11. Does anyone know what's happened to him? Maybe he lost his net connection for some reason.

Insight

Adventurer
No idea. I checked his other game and they are wondering too. I'll keep my eye on it, but I'm actually suffering from a bit of RPG overload, so I won't cry or anything if he doesn't come back ;)

I would like to continue the game if possible.

Remove ads