• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maximizing Save DC's

StealthyMark

First Post
Thanee said:
At first level with an 18 stat it's ok, yes. But that's about it.
Extra Slot gives always exactly one extra slot.
A heightened spellcasting attribute (via Spellcasting Prodigy or otherwise) gives two or three extra slots. Example: Cha 20 raised to Cha 22 = +1 2nd-level spell and +1 6th-level spell; Cha 26 raised to Cha 28 = +1 1st-level spell, +1 5th-level spell, +1 9th-level spell.

Spellcasting Prodigy is better than Extra Slot.

Thanee

First Post
The point is, that SP usually gives only one extra slot of a pretty low level, since you won't have the spell level available to benefit from the higher bonus spells.

Of course, there will be situations, when it will grant more than one. But the average spellcaster won't really benefit from that, I'm afraid.

So, yes, it's a bit better than Extra Slot in some situations and worse in some others. So basically the same, which is what I meant.

For a sorcerer, for example, it's really pretty much useless now.

Bye
Thanee

Diirk

First Post
If you think of the long term, rather than the here and now, its more than worth it.. I have a 13th level character that I've played since level 1, Spellcasting Prodigy would be more than welcome now if it had been available to pick at 1st level.

And from memory, the feat overview table listed 3.5 spellcasting prodigy as still giving the +1 DC, but if you read the feat description itself, it said it didn't. Copy and paste error.

Marshall

First Post
Diirk said:
If you think of the long term, rather than the here and now, its more than worth it.. I have a 13th level character that I've played since level 1, Spellcasting Prodigy would be more than welcome now if it had been available to pick at 1st level.

But are you going to take a feat at 1st level that you're not going to benefit from until 6th+?

This looks like the WIZ problem amplified, make yourself weaker at lower levels but in this case you get almost nothing for it at higher levels....

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Marshall said:
But are you going to take a feat at 1st level that you're not going to benefit from until 6th+?
If I plan on playing the character to level 10 or higher? Yes.

This looks like the WIZ problem amplified, make yourself weaker at lower levels but in this case you get almost nothing for it at higher levels....
An extra higher level spell slot is not "almost nothing". High level spell slots are very powerful.

It is not a useful feat for every character concept, but it can be well worth it for others. It's also a great roleplaying feat that has a worthwhile game mechanic benefit. It's just no longer the automatic choice for every uber-dc spellcaster. I like the change, it seems much more balanced now.

Last edited:

Marshall

First Post
Caliban said:
If I plan on playing the character to level 10 or higher? Yes.

Of course, by that point, you have MI and other ways to increase your spells per day that makes the fact that you have had a useless feat for several levels makes your decision making look questionable.

An extra higher level spell slot is not "almost nothing". High level spell slots are very powerful.

Then why isn't Extra Slot taken?
Its useful, but the extra +2 STAT isnt likely to come into play often enough to matter.

FrEx You need an 18 stat at 1st level to get ANY benefit from the feat.
At 3rd you need a 20 - Possible if you had that 18 at first and found a +2 item.
At 5th you need a 22 - +1 for fourth and a +2 item isnt going to cut it.
At 7th you need a 24 - likely got a +4 here and at 8th youll up your stat to get the ad outta it
At 9th you need a 26 - gotta have that +6 item now
At 11+ you're stuck, you cant keep your stat up to the point where you have an advantage from the feat in your highest level slot.

It is not a useful feat for every character concept, but it can be well worth it for others. It's also a great roleplaying feat that has a worthwhile game mechanic benefit. It's just no longer the automatic choice for every uber-dc spellcaster. I like the change, it seems much more balanced now.

What roleplaying? If you want to play a prodigy, play a prodigy. This feat has nothing to do with being a prodigy, and shouldnt have the "must take at 1st level" tag. Rename it Extra Spells, drop the tag, and then come back with a REAL ScP feat.

+1 CL, +1 to all DC's, Cast a spell in a lower slot, SOMETHING that actually resembles a PRODIGY.

Thanee

First Post
Sidenote:

Marshall said:
... and then come back with a REAL ScP feat.

+1 CL, +1 to all DC's, Cast a spell in a lower slot, SOMETHING that actually resembles a PRODIGY.

My House Rule for SP (as posted in the relevant forum) was +1 to Caster Level for all spellcasting purposes.

That's a nice and useful benefit, not overpowered, maybe a slight bit better than some of the feats out there (i.e. Spell Penetration, altho that's +2 not only +1, but limited in application), but then again, it has the limited to 1st level restriction, which obviously (as shown with the regional feats) should make such a feat slightly better in return.

It also does resemble a prodigy a lot better IMHO. :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Caliban said:
I like the change, it seems much more balanced now.

SP was a bit too powerful, and especially with the changes in 3.5 (Spell Focus mainly) it couldn't stay like that, of course.

But the change is just unimaginative and the feat doesn't mean anything now.
Changing it completely (like above) makes more sense to me, but is a house rule, obviously.

Bye
Thanee

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Marshall said:
Of course, by that point, you have MI and other ways to increase your spells per day that makes the fact that you have had a useless feat for several levels makes your decision making look questionable.
Ah, the old "anyone who disagrees with my viewpoint must be stupid" stance.

Well, I really don't care what else you have to say Marshall. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads