• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maximizing Strength

Xellous

First Post
Im in need of help maximizing my strength. Currently I have a belt of giant strength +6 but for extra bonuses Im stumped. Is there a bonus that I missed (Im sure there is) or what about getting a competence bonus to strength checks (for grappling, bull rushing, tripping, etc.). Also I looked at getting manual of gainful exercise to bump my strength with but it costs to much for a +5 book.

Thanks

Rystil Arden

First Post
Try size changes to get a double bonus: size bonus to both strength and all those checks at the same time.

Also, polymorphing yourself into some race with a strength bonus can help, as can a barbarian rage / frenzy for the unnamed bonus or an epic bard for a morale bonus.

Xellous

First Post
Well what about gloves that add competence bonus to strength checks like the circlet of persuasion. Im more interested in items right now. I already have a wizard who likes to enlarge me so that isnt a problem but thanks for the advice. Anymore?

Crothian

First Post
What level and classes do you already have? There really isn't anything I've seen like that but if your DM allows you can get one made.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Frankly, if I were the DM, I would not allow a competence bonus to all strength checks item. Those strength-check based combat techniques (particularly trip) are powerful enough with all the ways to add strength without adding in items that give another sort of stacking bonus. If you want a bonus to strength, I suggest you pay for it by selecting levels in classes that give such a bonus or using polymorph. If you don't want to do that, then shell out the cash for Wishes/Tome.

Xellous

First Post
Well my party is average of 13. Im a Goliath Fighter/Reaping Mauler (the real one, not the one in CW), we have a Gnome Illusionist/Maester, a Aasimar Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor, a Elf Barbarian, a VoP Dwarf Monk, and a Human Ranger. I suppose Ill have to sell out the cash for the wish/books, I was just looking for other ways to do it. What about stacking of the tomes. Can I buy 5 +1 tomes and read them at different times and they stack or are they treated like normal bonuses and dont stack?

Rystil Arden

First Post
5 +1 tomes do not stack. 5 wishes in immediate direct succession do stack, however, and that gives a +5 inherent bonus. Frankly, though, as an enlarged goliath with a belt of strength, your bonus on those checks is probably morbidly high already. I'd focus my gold on making sure that my Will saves are high enough to stop me from destroying my own party if I were you.

Jack Simth

First Post
They don't stack. If you buy 5 +1 books, you end up with a +1 inherent bonus. If you buy 1 +5 book, you end up with a +5 inherent bonus.

You could try Heroism and it's Greater brother - it doesn't actually affect your strength, but it raises your Attack with a Morale bonus, which should give a boost to the grappling stuff you are after.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Xellous said:
Can I buy 5 +1 tomes and read them at different times and they stack or are they treated like normal bonuses and dont stack?

If you read five +1 books, you end up with five +1 inherent bonuses. Inherent bonuses don't stack.

The +5 book gives you one +5 inherent bonus. Much more useful :)

Edit - bah :) 'srunning so slow!

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads