Me Dwarven Kin?

Nyaricus

First Post
solkan_uk said:
I like dwarves, but I'm not keen on how they're portrayed. I don't like this whole crazy berzerker stereotype.
My dwarves are the calm in the storm, when everything is going crazy around you, you can count on the dwarf to be a pillar of stability - unfazable, methodical, patient and difficult to rile are how I'd describe them.

Not violent lager louts as they seem to be portrayed.
I don't see that too much, really. My dwarves are a cross between the two 'pillars' (in my opinion) of dwarfdom - the dwarves of norse mythology, and the dwarves of JRR Tolkiens Middle Earth. Fighters, hoarders, magical-item-makers (with few true magic users) and generally good to the core (more of a Tolkienism with that, though).

The first time I was introduced to the berserker steriotype of dwarves was for WarHammer about, oh, 6 years ago; about a year after I was introduced to D&D. Never stuck out to me, but I always liked the angle the dwarves of WarHammer got. Some, but very few, dwarves of my campaign setting are similar to that [basically, driven out of their strongholds by orcs and their kin, and/or giants and turned into barbarous ragers), but they are noble at their heart, and the cause of good is still one of the things they uphold first and foremost; even if they are a bit... different than their mountain kin, in a number of manners.

Remove ads