• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mearls and Crawford interview with The Mary Sue

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It's a lot of high level stuff that's pretty "no duh" to those of us fully in the bubble, but there is this little element...

Mike Mearls said:
Very early on, we decided that we were going to avoid bare midriffs, cleavage, and other common gaming tropes. We only use those if a specific character would actually dress that way. For instance, our incubus is depicted with six-pack abs and a come-hither smile. That makes sense, because as a supernatural creature of seduction and corruption, that’s how he would present himself in the world of D&D.

a) Incubus confirmed
b) Presumably, incubus also confirmed to be segsy.

Agamon

Adventurer
Was the succubus specifically talked about at some point?

I was wondering how they would handle the art for that one.

There was talk in an L&L some time ago about the succubus back story, as I recall.

And I'm guessing that pic will be the exception to the "sensibly clothed female" rule we've seen for the art so far.

Dausuul

Legend
There was talk in an L&L some time ago about the succubus back story, as I recall.

And I'm guessing that pic will be the exception to the "sensibly clothed female" rule we've seen for the art so far.
I expect the succubus will be sensibly clothed, too. It's just that "sensibly clothed" depends on what one is dressing for. Sex demons have very good reasons for dressing revealingly.

Agamon

Adventurer
I expect the succubus will be sensibly clothed, too. It's just that "sensibly clothed" depends on what one is dressing for. Sex demons have very good reasons for dressing revealingly.

Heh. Right, unfortunately, "sensibly clothed" has become shorthand for "not like a...uh...experienced individual," if you know what I mean.

I don't expect her to be wearing a huge floppy bow tie, giant clown shoes, and dress that trails behind her for 5 feet. That certainly wouldn't be sensible.

Boarstorm

First Post
Heh. Right, unfortunately, "sensibly clothed" has become shorthand for "not like a...uh...experienced individual," if you know what I mean.

I don't expect her to be wearing a huge floppy bow tie, giant clown shoes, and dress that trails behind her for 5 feet. That certainly wouldn't be sensible.

Depends on who her target is... :p

Remove ads