• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Mearls and Spelljammer challenge

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I know its wrong...:D

But I'm tired of all my good ideas becoming official in some fashion. I think they are spying on me.

I'm going to be pissed when 5e uses space as space and astral for hyperspace.

I may even become indignant.

And you other folks using astral as hyperspace????

...I got my eye on you too....

LOL. I can't tell you how many things I wrote (or was working on writing up) back in the day with the intention of submitting it to Dragon or Dungeon magazine, only for it to come out first from somebody else.

I'm not a Spelljammer guy, but you have to admit that your idea of the Astral Plane is one of those things that's just so obvious once you mention it. Kind of a "Doh!" moment that all of us immediately say, of course it is.

That doesn't mean you didn't think of it first and you can revel in the knowledge that you recognized the obvious long before the rest of us!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Spelljammer might be better received now than it was in the early 90s. Why? Well, look at how science fiction RPGs are thriving, with some even having a mystical or fantastical element (i.e. "science fantasy"). Now Spelljammer isn't SF, but as being "fantasy in space" (so to speak) it could draw upon the current popularity of Star Wars and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, both of which have strong fantastical elements.

Or it could thud like John Carter of Mars :)

Personally I like the concept of "gates" better than space sailing ships to get from one planet to another.

jgsugden

Legend
... And you other folks using astral as hyperspace????

...I got my eye on you too....
Perhaps I have my eye on you. I made this modification the day I popped open the Spelljammer boxed set back in the late 80s.
Pppbbbttt!

I thought of it first and you can't prove otherwise.
I have campaign materials from 1989 with the first adventure I ran where PCs entered a gate, boarded a ship and sailed the Astral Plane. :p

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I dunno. I loved Spelljammer exactly as it was written back in the day. Ptolemic physics, embracing the inherent goofiness of D&D, and still leaving room for some of the most horrific creatures the game has ever known.

I'm all over a 5e version if they print it, but I really hope they don't run with the "never mind all that it's just the Astral Whocasesathon" approach. Unless the Astral suddenly becomes flammable, and then I might be on board.

Remove ads