• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mecha Compendium-Combat

archer8228

First Post
For those who have DP9's mecha compendium:

Perhaps, this will be addressed when the full Mecha rules come out, but how are you going to deal with battlesuit combat? As it stands now someone wearing a battlesuit will never be injured until the suit is utterly destroyed. In the modern setting, it implies that the suit may be penetrated, in some cases by rifle-caliber weapons. I can certainly picture a round punching through the suit, and hitting the person within. I was thinking of giving suits a penetration rating, perhaps half again (150%) the hardness, any damage above which would also be inflicted on the pilot. Any thoughts?

Sagan Darkside

First Post
archer8228 said:
I was thinking of giving suits a penetration rating, perhaps half again (150%) the hardness, any damage above which would also be inflicted on the pilot. Any thoughts?

Why not just call it damage reduction and treat it like a variant of the stoneskin spell?

That may be a bit simplistic, but it should work for a cinematic battle sequence.

Good luck
SD

archer8228

First Post
Oh, I see. But that leaves the problem of armor that works perfectly until it disapears. Unless stoneskin can only block a certain amount of damage per hit? I don't have my books at work.

Last edited:

Blacksad

Explorer
Page 9 under hit points, it allows PC to take half of the damage that their Mecha would take (because in some game PCs hp represent luck, fatigue and other thing).

Otherwise, use the Crit rules from Mecha Crusade, on a confirmed crit, 50% deal double damage, 25% deal damage to the pilot, and I do not remember the rest of the table.

Marc A. Vezina

First Post
archer8228 said:
Perhaps, this will be addressed when the full Mecha rules come out, but how are you going to deal with battlesuit combat?

The d20 Mecha rule goes as follow:

"If a mecha suit takes damage, the wearer of the suit takes the exact same damage (a suit is form-fitting). An attack may kill or disable the wearer without doing the same to the suit, in which case someone else could salvage it. It might disable the suit while the wearer still has hp left, in which case he is trapped in it until it is removed."

Keep in mind you subtract the suit's Hardness from the damage total first! So, for example, 12 damage vs. a Hardness 6, hp 10 suit would cost both the suit and the wearer 6 hp each.

---
Marc A. Vezina
DP9

Remove ads