Mecha Depot - Rambling Thoughts I

AnimeSniper

Explorer
The following are few mad rambling thoughts on various mecha related items found listed in the d20 Future and Future Tech books.

Directed Energy Weapons
Directed Energy Melee Weapons are focused constructs of directed/manipulated energy such as Laser and Plasma. These are of course mostly futuristic weapons firing concentrated lasers or balls of Plasma at the enemy but it also includes various Melee variants

Beam Saber [Gundam]
by Kronos182
The beam saber is an experimental plasma based melee weapon that is able to cut through nearly any material. However it has a short operating time before requiring a recharge. Large mech 3d10, Huge 5d10, Gargantuan 7d10, Colossal 9d10, fire damage, ignoring15 points of hardness/DR, critical threat range 19-20, x3, cannot add strength modifier to damage. Operational for 2 minutes (20 rounds) before requiring a recharge.
Equipment Slots: 1,hand or arm
Activation: Attack
Range Increment: melee
Target: Single
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: none
Purchase DC: 44
Restriction: Mil (+4)

HEAT Blade Technology
HEAT Blade Technology makes use of a special ceramic coating along the blade edge that when charged with an electrical source or plasma immediately heats the coating along the blade to cleave through most known armor alloys. This special ceramic coating can be applied to any standard edged melee weaponry sized to accommodate the Mecha unit.

HEAT Hawk Axe [Gundam] (PL5/6)
by Kronos182
The heat hawk is an axe weapon that can have its cutting surface superheated to allow it to cut through armour of mechs and ships. This weapon has become the standard melee weapon on Zeon mechs for many years. The heat hawk deals half slashing and half heat (fire) damage based on the size of the mech wielding it: Large 2d12, Huge 3d12, Gargantuan 4d12, Colossal 5d12. The heat hawk also ignores 5 points of hardness/DR.
Equipment Slots: 1 must be hand or arm
Activation: Attack
Range Increment: Touch/melee
Target: Single target within reach
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Purchase DC: 10 + one quarter mech PDC
Restriction: Lic (+1)

SURGE Technology
SURGE Technology is for lack of better description a Taser on Bull steroids and is applied to many Mecha designed Bludgeoning weaponry. When activated a corona of sparks is seen along the weapon and when struck against the enemy unit releases an electrical current throughout the units armor and superstructure. This sometimes results in the pilots or crews electrocution and EMP damages through non-shielded electronics.

I would greatly appreciate that no replies are done at this time though a PM is appreciated... Next KEW Research and Development.

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Mecha & KEW

My WIP thoughts on KEW or Kinetic Energy Weapons i.e. normal ballistic weaponry is that most any weapon from the smallest caliber handgun to battleship class cannons can be tweaked for use in

Power Armor

Medium Power Armor is feasible for the future battlefield its just miniaturizing bulky armor and power supply into something with more than one to three hours operating time before needing the battery replaced. Now for Power Armor most small pistol calibers upwards to 30 mm could be modified for the future Power Armor equipped soldier with some minor modifications to how they are fielded. Most Man Portable or Crew served weaponry i.e. missiles and AT Rockets could also be used by PA soldiers.

Medium -0 5 50-100 20 ft. 6-8 ft. 50-500 5 ft. by 5 ft. 5 ft. 20-4p Res (+2)

Large +
For Large + Mecha they can be outfitted/equipped with .30 caliber upwards to battleship class cannons. Man Portable or Crew served weaponry i.e. missiles and AT Rockets could also be used by Large + Mecha including once vehicle based weaponry i.e. Ship or Aircraft mounted missiles and Rockets

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Mecha Armor

My WIP thoughts on Armor

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?500110-Mecha-Armor-Thoughts I am organizing the collated notes of several sources that gave Hardness and HP per Inch of Material... from classic D&D materials to more Futuristic super alloys.

In the RAW Future, http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Mecha#LARGE_MECHA, each Mecha had Hit Points from 100 for Large to 800 for Colossal units so lets keep that as base for sized Mecha's Superstructure before we add on the desired PL armor thus increasing the overall Hit Points for the units.

Now from what I could discern from several various Mecha related anime the armor for the unit would range a half an inch for a Medium Power Armor to upwards of twenty four inches for a Colossal Evangelion unit.

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Mecha & Melee

Once your primary weapon, KEW is out of ammo, your DEW power cell is depleted, or you close into CQC battle with the enemy often times a mecha pilot needs a backup melee weapon to continue the fight thus a good sized melee weapon sized for the Mecha is desired... but how does one accomplish this in gameplay mechanics.

Quite easy to do just take the following:

1. To start based on your chosen edition utilize the Melee weapon tables such as here for 3.5e http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Weapons or for d20 modern http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Melee_Weapons
2. Size you chosen weapon up to the appropriate Mecha size using the following http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize or http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Weapon_Qualities#Table:_Weapon_Damage_by_Size. Your can also further expand by making the base materials of Mithril or any material equal or greater than the applied armor technology hardness. After all you want to DESTROY your enemies!
3. Apply the Beam Saber/Blade, HEAT, or SURGE modifications to the weapons.... Beam Weapons substitutes the metallic alloys for emitters that mimic the weapon design of say a Trident. HEAT applies the special ceramic coating along the blade edge or the entire weapons. SURGE is applied to bludgeoning weapons and release a surge of electricity into the enemy mecha or starship eletrocuting the crew and causing EMP Damage.
4. Increase the Critical as needed due to increase in the weapons size category... Table to come

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Mecha & Shields

Many would think that with the thickness of a Mecha's armor that the requirement for not only E-Shields but something that Knights and warriors of old would carry into battle would be unnecessary. See http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Mecha#MECHA_DEFENSE_SYSTEMS

Now from watching recent Gundam Unicorn episodes it would be feasible to not only implement said shields using my Armor rules for the HP per Inch of Thickness but you could also allow Spikes on the carried shields but also integrated weaponry of x-caliber, missiles and possible BEAM Edging to them.

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Mecha & DEW II

As mentioned in the first opening post Directed Energy Weapons but this also includes Ranged variants in the forms of Longarms for Mecha and Starship mounted capital ship weaponry.

Now Kronos182 has created a few Beam type rifles that he posted at the following... http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ESM-Setting)&p=6952037&viewfull=1#post6952037 though they used d10 dice for their damages and are workable but could the dice be increased to d12's or maybe even d20's thus his Beam Rifle would now easily destroyed a 100/200 HP Mecha.

For Starship mounted capital ship weaponry... "Fire the Mega Hyper Particle Cannon!" maybe use d100's for the largest and starting at d8's for smaller anti-ship Beam cannons.

kronos182

Adventurer
Hope you don't mind my posting.. as to the beam weapons, I kept them "relatively" within scale of the weapons available (and lower damage than they could be as they are prototypes), but to also make them more powerful is high critical damage (beam weapons have critical modifiers 1 or 2 higher, such as beam rifle is x4 on a crit. If you have a feat that increases your crit range, you can score even more crit hits, and in the shows it seems to me that they're scoring more crit hits that blow stuff up in one shot than just the weapon mists anything it strikes, even if a finger).
I like your work so far, and thanks for referencing my stuff, I'll happily help you with any you need help with, even if it's different from my own work. we're all here to help and have fun!

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Well Krono182 I did come up with some DEW relevant to size and other but I don't have my notes right now... I Know that for a Colossal mounted DEW system I stated it at d100 I think and then include a multiplier for barrel dimension in inches lets say 12 ft barrel thus 144 inches so maximum damage for that massive DEW 144,000 damage to the target...

I'll pull my notes out this afternoon and get posting my more mad ramblings

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Weapon Classifications/Clarifications

Directed Energy Weapons or DEW utilize projected lasers, plasma, or other energy states to attack the targeted object. DEW systems negate/ignore x-hardness and melt certain material compounds unless protected via a nano-laminate coating that deflects/halves the damage done to the target.

Kinetic Energy Weapons or KEW utilize chemical compounds to propel a bullet or shell at the targeted object. KEW systems/munitions with certain properties i.e. Armor Piercing can negate/ignore x-hardness of material compound.

Magnetically Accelerated Weapons or MAW utilize magnetic fields to propel a bullet, shell, or shaped munitions at the targeted object. MAW system/munitions also negate/ignore x-hardness of material compounds. MAW systems also cause x-damage multiplied to the rolled damage based upon weapon size. This is due to the increased speed at which the propelled munitions travels being striking the targeted object.

Missiles and Rockets would see a replacement of their chemically propelled launch systems for ionic or gravity drives.

Munitions for KEW and MAW systems would still see the inclusion of special submunitions in the form of Armor Piercing, Tracer, and etcetera.

Remove ads