• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Medieval Player's Manual

TheLostSoul

Explorer
I have a few questions regarding this book.

Is it 3.0 or 3.5?

How am Alchemy described? As medieval chemistry or a spriritual path?

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
I have the book.

It's not explicitely told in the book whether it is 3.0 or 3.5. However, looking at the skill selection of some of the classes (for example: survival skill instead of wilderness lore skill) I think it is 3.5. In any case, the book could be used with either 3.0 or 3.5 you would hardly see the difference.

Alchemy: is described as medieval chemistry (of an almost magical nature) not a spriritual path.

Yair

Community Supporter
If you are interested, Atlas Games' Occult Lore showcases several "medieval" traditions, including Alchemy. It's most spiritual aspect is the Cabal of the Golden Bee, who "teaches its initiates how to live forever through alchemical purity".

It is designed for standard D&D, so I don't know how useful the work will be with the Medieval Player's Handbook. It is based on Ars Magica stuff, so at least in mood it is fitting to the middle ages.
The book also deals with alchemy, herbalism, and sympathetic magic (gypsy-like flavor, much more flavoreful and fitting to medieval magic than D&D) in addition to other traditions.

TheLostSoul

Explorer
Thank you for your replies :)

I might have to take a look at Occult Lore (if my FLGS has it). It still annoys me that Alchemy is regarded as "medieval" chemistry in most D20 publications. It is actually a spriritual path where the whole lead to gold thing, is an allegory to purifiyng ones soul and bringing one closer to spiritual perfection (and in Christian beliefs, closer to God).

The Ravenloft Van Richten's Arsenal Vol. 1 does an okay job at portraying alchemy, but I do not know how well it is compatible with MPM. It does seem to use some of the same basic ideas however (using feats to symbolise the wanted effects).

Turanil

First Post
I now know how I am going to use my copy of Medieval Player's Manual. In fact I have three different campaign settings possible (one d20 sci-fi, one d20 1930 Cthulhu, and one medieval fantasy). For the latter I recently bought (and just received today) a copy of World of Warhammer Illustrated Guide. What I love with this book is that is has no game mechanics (so nothing WHFRP I would not use), enough info to describe the setting (although it is scarce on locations), and very few about the (non-Chaos) religions.

Hence, in this Renaissance Europe looking world (i.e.: Warhammer based), I will just have to throw in religion and magic of the Medieval Player's Manual! I want it to be low magic so this will be perfect. I will use Grim Tales for rules and classes, so most of the class abilities of the Medieval Player's Manual will be turned into Talent trees. I think I can also borrow stuff from the [/I]Relic & Rituals: Excalibur[/I] so I won't have bought this book for nothing. The only thing I don't like with this, is the work I will have to do for that... :( But this otherwise has the potential for a good setting. :)

TheLostSoul

Explorer
Turanil said:
I now know how I am going to use my copy of Medieval Player's Manual. In fact I have three different campaign settings possible (one d20 sci-fi, one d20 1930 Cthulhu, and one medieval fantasy). For the latter I recently bought (and just received today) a copy of World of Warhammer Illustrated Guide. What I love with this book is that is has no game mechanics (so nothing WHFRP I would not use), enough info to describe the setting (although it is scarce on locations), and very few about the (non-Chaos) religions.

Hence, in this Renaissance Europe looking world (i.e.: Warhammer based), I will just have to throw in religion and magic of the Medieval Player's Manual! I want it to be low magic so this will be perfect. I will use Grim Tales for rules and classes, so most of the class abilities of the Medieval Player's Manual will be turned into Talent trees. I think I can also borrow stuff from the [/I]Relic & Rituals: Excalibur[/I] so I won't have bought this book for nothing. The only thing I don't like with this, is the work I will have to do for that... :( But this otherwise has the potential for a good setting. :)

Sounds really interresting :) I am waiting for WFRP 2nd Edition for a Warhammer game, though, as I has never been particular fond of D&D or D20.

It soes seem like alot of work, but it will probably be worth it :)

Sebastian Francis

First Post
TheLostSoul said:
Thank you for your replies :)

It still annoys me that Alchemy is regarded as "medieval" chemistry in most D20 publications. It is actually a spriritual path where the whole lead to gold thing, is an allegory to purifiyng ones soul and bringing one closer to spiritual perfection (and in Christian beliefs, closer to God).

Not really. From Wikipedia:

"Alchemy is an early protoscientific practice combining elements of chemistry, physics, astrology, art, semiotics, metallurgy, medicine, mysticism, and religion. Two intertwined goals sought by many alchemists were the philosopher's stone, a mythical substance which would enable the transmutation of common metals into gold; and the universal panacea, a remedy that would cure all diseases and prolong life indefinitely. Alchemy can be regarded as the precursor of the modern science of chemistry prior to the formulation of the scientific method."

Nothing allegorical about it, though some alchemists tended to think of it in those terms:

"the alchemical symbols and processes often had both an inner meaning referring to the spiritual development of the practitioner as well as a material meaning connected to physical transformation of matter."

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
What is the historical time period (date range) of Green Ronin's Medieval Player's Manual?

Could one use it to play a d20 version of Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages game (which is circa 1000 AD)?

Turanil

First Post
jaerdaph said:
What is the historical time period (date range) of Green Ronin's Medieval Player's Manual?

Could one use it to play a d20 version of Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages game (which is circa 1000 AD)?

Medieval Player's Manual concentrates on the 1087-1154 period. As such it could be used to portray a circa 1000 Dark Age world. Now it would probably have to be tweaked to play d20 Cthulhu with it. In fact, CoC normally implies a world where ultimately the universe is alien and inimical to humans. On the other hand, Medieval Player's Manual describes a Christian view of the world where ultimately God rules. So you probably better would remove supernatural abilities of priests, and keep only those related to social interactions. As such the priests become weak, perfect to fit the mood of a CoC campaign.

Napftor

Explorer
jaerdaph said:

According to the back of the book: 1087 to 1154 A.D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads