Medieval Town Size

fusangite

First Post
I'm running a game tomorrow set in a medieval-style town of about 2000 people; it is a garrison town and, in some respects doesn't fit the medieval mold due to the peculiarity of my setting. Still, as a starting point, I'm wondering if people could give me a sense of the average surface area and population density of a medieval town of 2000 or point me to a good reference source.

fusangite said:
I'm running a game tomorrow set in a medieval-style town of about 2000 people; it is a garrison town and, in some respects doesn't fit the medieval mold due to the peculiarity of my setting. Still, as a starting point, I'm wondering if people could give me a sense of the average surface area and population density of a medieval town of 2000 or point me to a good reference source.

The surface area is all dependant on how dense you want the population to be. It wouldn't be that dense because there are only 2000 people, and im guessing that a large number of them are the garrison. In a medieval-style town, i dont see them packing themselves into tiny little shacks, 2 or three families to a shack to, simply to save space. If it were a city and a walled city at that, then density is going to be alot higher. I would say about 10-15 square km, at most. That is still a decent size, but not so large that everyone is too spread out, but they are also not stuck right in each others laps.

Now if by garrison town you mean walled, then the size will probably decrease a bit and the density is going to go up. But not everyone is going to live inside the town. There are going to be the crazy hermits, as well as the farmers and livestock producers that live outside the walls, and only come into town for trade, but they are still considered part of the town populace.

Mythmere1

First Post
A full sized medieval city was one half a square mile within the walls, roughly. These had populations not much larger than your town - a city would have started at about a 3K population IIRC, and went as high as 10K for the non-metropolises. Italy had higher urban populations, with several cities over 15K.

Take a look at expeditious retreat press - they used to have a free pdf about fantasy medieval cities.

Drew

Explorer
Actual medieval towns were in fact very densly populated. According the the Magic Medieval Society book linked above (which is really a must have, go buy the thing!) a large town (which is where your population 2000 falls in the DMG) in the real world had a population density somewhere around 40-60 people per acre. Most medieval cities were smaller than 1 square mile (640 acres). The town should contain around 20-30 structures per acre.

Remember that everything in a true medieval city had to be within reasonable walking distance of everything else. Between cities, there are manors all along major travel routes. In other words, you're either within walking distance of some kind of settlement, or you're in the wilderness.

All this is based on real world data, and you're playing in a fantasy world. In my homebrew, I prefer things to be less dense, poor, and dirty than they were in the real world. As they point out in the DMG II, its sometimes better to design D&D worlds to reflect an anacronistic idea of how things were, rather than a realistic representation of the medieval period.

Still, its nice to have some kind of basis, which is where the Magical Medieval Society book comes in.

SWBaxter

First Post
fusangite said:
I'm running a game tomorrow set in a medieval-style town of about 2000 people; it is a garrison town and, in some respects doesn't fit the medieval mold due to the peculiarity of my setting.

Almost all medieval communities of any size would count as garrison towns, since they tend to grow around a noble's stronghold. From MMS (the product referenced in the first link, a really excellent book and well worth buying), you could set the population density of your town around 40 people per acre for a total size of around 50 acres and have a medieval-style town. There's 640 acres in a square mile, so that's not very large at all.

fusangite

First Post
Thanks! I hadn't realize MMS:WE had population density figures in it. I suppose it's just a matter of pulling my free copy off my bookshelf. :eek:

Best figures i've seen suggest walls need about 1 person per yard to defend them when besieged. So if your town is more than may 500 feet across it will vulnerable, unless you have extra defenders or geographical features in your favor.

fusangite said:

Don't make me smack you. :] :p I think the guidelines in MMS:WE work pretty well. There's a few things I may want to change in the revision, but nothing concrete right now.

joe b.

Remove ads