• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Medium Armor: Why?

Tharkon

First Post
if you have unearthed arcana, the Armor as DR makes more sense

it grants a small bonus to your actual armor class and grants damage reduction, what I didn't like about that system is it was DR for all types when in reality spears and arrows go through chainmail easily...in the system I'm making armor is DR to certain types of weapons, bludgeoning overcomes most types meaning a mace can be better than a longsword...yay for maces!

During medieval re-enactment, we called the mace the medieval can-opener. It was invented as response to full-plate.

If we are going to realistically we'd also have to go points where certain helms protect against weapons like flails while others don't. And have certain helms give penalties on attack bonus.

One help would be to have Medium Armors not reduce your speed.

What be the difference between that and light armor then?

And depending on how you can argue it, you can make celestial mithril armor. Which is a little silly, but awesome if you can get it.

Celestial armor is probably already made of mithril, if not an even lighter material.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
What be the difference between that and light armor then?
Looking at the table . . .
  • The scale of the Dex penalties (2 points worse if chain mail is raised to AC +6 and comparing best light vs. best medium)
  • The armor check penalties (still rather severe)
  • The scale of the Arcane Failure % (a not insignificant 10–15% worse)
  • The weight (5–15 lbs heavier)
Plus, as was stated earlier, by not just being "Light", by existing as a middle category it ensures mithril full plate isn't light armor.

agrelic

First Post
The reason I was investigation armors is the selection of ranger levels for TWF, which requires me to wear light or no armor, and someone suggested I should buy a mithral breastplate. The increased price for that single +1 AC really makes me wonder about that suggestion.

The increased price for mithral makes a lot more sense at later levels.

+3 Mithral Breastplate = 13,200 gp = +8 AC (+5 max dex)
+4 Chain Shirt = 16,100 gp = +8 AC (+4 max dex)

For most characters, the mithral breastplate starts becoming a lot cheaper from here on. If you plan on having a wizard/cleric keep magicing your armor as you level, you're better off to buy mithral early and have them work on that. Otherwise, just wait until you're in the price range and dump your chain shirt for mithral breastplate.

Alternatively, if you have a Dex of 22 or higher, you can consider

+3 mithral chain shirt = 10,100 gp = +7 AC (+6 max dex)

for an even cheaper option.

Stalker0

Legend
the only use I've found for medium armor is right around 1st level, when characters don't have the money for decent armor yet. Past that point, yes there is little point for it.

Mon

Explorer
Looking at the table . . .
  • The scale of the Dex penalties (2 points worse if chain mail is raised to AC +6 and comparing best light vs. best medium)
  • The armor check penalties (still rather severe)
  • The scale of the Arcane Failure % (a not insignificant 10–15% worse)
  • The weight (5–15 lbs heavier)
Plus, as was stated earlier, by not just being "Light", by existing as a middle category it ensures mithril full plate isn't light armor.
Just switch the maximum running speed limitation from heavy armour to medium, and the actual speed reduction to heavy armour only.

Visigani

Banned
Banned
Why has no one mentioned Mithril Mechanus Gear?

It has the highest potential Dex/AC (+12, I believe) of all the unenchanted armors I believe, is medium armor and doesn't require a feat. It has some ugly movement penalties (among others)...but for sheer not getting deadness, it's hard to beat.

Trance-Zg

First Post
my suggestion for making armor more viable and worth the feat.

Armor name/armor bonus/max dex/a.c.p./a.s.f./cost(gp)

light;

leather................... + 2/+6/-0/10%/ 5
studded leather........ +3/+5/-1/15%/ 25
chain shirt............... +4/+4/-2/20%/ 100

medium;

hide........................ +5/+4/-3/25%/ 50
chain mail................ +6/+3/-3/25%/ 200
breastplate.............. +7/+2/-4/30%/ 300

heavy;

half-plate................. +8/+1/-7/40%/ 500
elven plate............... +8/+2/-4/30%/2000
full plate.................. +9/+1/-6/35%/1500
heavy plate.............. +10/0/-7/40%/2000

half plate/hide is "budget NPC/1st level PC" armor.

Remove ads