• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Medusa's Gaze and Arcane eye, spoiler alert

resscane

Explorer
MY party is currently playing the Shackled City campaign w/ a DM who reads this site regularly. Anyways, we're in a pretty tough battle w/ a bunch of YAun-Ti (All of em w/ really good Spell Resistance 28-34 approx.) when 4 Medusa bust out of some statuary. My wiz casts Eye of Power, which is a 9th level arcane eye that allows you to cast 3rd level spells through it. Its a crazy battle w/ meta-magicked horrid wiltings, spheres of ultimate detructions, and massive criticals flying to and fro..,When the DM asks me to make fort rolls vs. the medusa's gaze attack. I say thats why I cast the eye of power.., so I wouldn't be effected.

We're all pretty experienced players and a discussion ensued. He ruled that I was OK, I wasn't vulnerable to the gaze attacks. As a note I rolled my fort and failed. So how would you rule?

sukael

First Post
srd said:
Each character within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw (which can be a Fortitude or Will save) each round at the beginning of his turn.
The eye is a spell effect, not a creature or character, and thus it doesn't need to make a save.
srd said:
Looking at the creature’s image (such as in a mirror or as part of an illusion) does not subject the viewer to a gaze attack.
srd said:
You create an invisible magical sensor that sends you visual information.
The eye transmits you an image of what it sees, which doesn't subject you yourself to the gaze attack.

So I'd say you're right in this case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads