• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meepo in town?

Spoilers, if you haven't played/read The Sunless Citadel . . .

In the Sunless Citadel, my PC's (2 new to D&D, 2 new to 3e/haven't played in at least 15 years) have joined forces with the kobolds. Meepo -- a 1st level sorcerer with low stats in my incarnation of him -- has accompanied them for 2 days. He has only defensive spells, and he's been hanging back from combat. In one fight where the PC's were in big trouble, he tried to aid a PC with a spell, but he took at AOO critical hit and went down. The PC's managed to save him with First Aid.

Since the rest of the party was also in trouble -- out of spells, one poisoned, one diseased, plus one recovered body from a previous party -- they decided to return to town (Oakhurst) and bring Meepo's unconscious body with them. To be safe, one of the veterans decided to rap Meepo in a bed roll, so none of the townspeople would know they brought a monster into the inn.

My question is, what should the townsfolk do when/if they discover a kobold is at the inn?

IMC, player characters are almost always the standard races. In Oakhurst, there are no exceptions to that. I've run several parties in my campaign setting, which has led to various "non-standard" monster interaction happening. More cosmopolitan parts of the realm (Bissel in Greyhawk), I've had some exceptions to "no monsters allowed" -- a friendly giant who was made a nobleman but has only one blind old peasant willing to live on his isolated manor, lizardmen convert acolytes of a High Priest, and a lone traveling goblin merchant who works for a human merchant clan and has human guards and teamsters from them spring to mind.

Also, in Oakhurst itself, the module says:
"The goblin tribe infesting the nearby ruins ransoms a single piece of fruit to the highest bidder in Oakhurst once every midsummer. They've been doing this for the past 12 years. Usually, the fruit sells for around 50 gp, which is all the townspeople can bring themselves to pay a goblin."

So, I'm thinking the townspeople would, for example, all flee the inn's taproom if Meepo is brought in, and gather again with armor and weapons to keep an eye on him. The barkeep would most likely then want to enforce the "gentleman's agreement" against allowing monsters to stay at the inn, but being a kindly sort, would allow Meepo to stay in the barn, as long as he is under constant surveillance.

Should some townsfolk object to that level of accomodation and want to challenge the PCs, or bring the pitchforks and torches to kill Meepo?

How would you run this?

Vorput

First Post
haakon1 said:
So, I'm thinking the townspeople would, for example, all flee the inn's taproom if Meepo is brought in, and gather again with armor and weapons to keep an eye on him. The barkeep would most likely then want to enforce the "gentleman's agreement" against allowing monsters to stay at the inn, but being a kindly sort, would allow Meepo to stay in the barn, as long as he is under constant surveillance.

Should some townsfolk object to that level of accomodation and want to challenge the PCs, or bring the pitchforks and torches to kill Meepo?

How would you run this?

Well, a lot of it comes down to what the townspeople think of the PCs... If they have even a semi-good reputation, they can probably vouch for the kobold... and that will be generally accepted. I agree that Meepo will be watched VERY closely, and I agree that even the slightest transgression may yield pitchforks and torches... but... a lot of it comes down to how you run your world.

If Kobolds are living (was it 8 miles?) from the town, then the townsfolk probably knows of them- and maybe have even seen them. The goblins are the ones listed as making the old road fall into dis-use, do the townsfolk know it was the goblins and not kobolds?

If it were me, I'd allow the PCs this... I'd make very clear the townsfolk aren't happy, and I may even have a drunk or two challenge the party telling them they should bring 'the monster' out so they can kill him- but... I think I'd let the PCs vouch for him and keep him in line.

On the other hand, should the kobold's evilness show itself at all, it'll put the party in a nasty predicament.

What is Meepo's alignment in your campaign?

Vorp

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
haakon1 said:
Also, in Oakhurst itself, the module says:
"The goblin tribe infesting the nearby ruins ransoms a single piece of fruit to the highest bidder in Oakhurst once every midsummer. They've been doing this for the past 12 years. Usually, the fruit sells for around 50 gp, which is all the townspeople can bring themselves to pay a goblin."
The townsfolk trade with the Goblins. So why would they want to lynch one, especially if the PCs explain that he's helping them? Doubly especially if he's helping them try to rescue the local adventurers? They might not like it, but I just can't see them forming a mob with torches, pitchforks and a rope!

Vorput said:
Well, a lot of it comes down to what the townspeople think of the PCs... If they have even a semi-good reputation, they can probably vouch for the kobold... and that will be generally accepted. I agree that Meepo will be watched VERY closely, and I agree that even the slightest transgression may yield pitchforks and torches... but... a lot of it comes down to how you run your world.

The PC's are on a mission from the (liked) central government and were vouched for a traveling "high level" (5th level) cleric of Rao, so the townsfolk have been putting them up for free at the inn. Bringing back the body of one of the missing adventurers, admitted not a native, is their first accomplishment most townsfolks know about.

Vorput said:
If Kobolds are living (was it 8 miles?) from the town, then the townsfolk probably knows of them- and maybe have even seen them. The goblins are the ones listed as making the old road fall into dis-use, do the townsfolk know it was the goblins and not kobolds?

Good question. I think the townsfolk don't know about the recent kobold reclaimation attempt. I think their reaction to news would be fear of new bad guys moving in, but hope at the idea of the kobolds and goblins killing each other off. I think the thoughtful townsfolk would support the PC's "alliance", but the hotheads and isolationists would be scandalized at "mollycoddling" the evil little demon worshippers.

If it goes to the pitchforks and torches, I'm thinking somebody with an Aussie accent should be yelling, "Kobolds ate my baby". ;)

Vorput said:
If it were me, I'd allow the PCs this... I'd make very clear the townsfolk aren't happy, and I may even have a drunk or two challenge the party telling them they should bring 'the monster' out so they can kill him- but... I think I'd let the PCs vouch for him and keep him in line.

On the other hand, should the kobold's evilness show itself at all, it'll put the party in a nasty predicament.

Thanks, I'll take this approach. I think Meepo will be too scared to get much out of line, but we'll see if the PC's respond to drunken taunts.

Vorput said:
What is Meepo's alignment in your campaign?

He's a selfish, cowardly LN, or a very gentle and inoffensive LE. Somewhere straddling the alignment line, but more towards LN.

Ed_Laprade said:
The townsfolk trade with the Goblins.

Meepo is a kobold, not a goblin, but the point of trading with humanoids remains. The way I view it, it's reluctant, too good to turn it down trade. 4 heal spells for 50 gp is an offer you can't refuse.

Ed_Laprade said:
So why would they want to lynch one, especially if the PCs explain that he's helping them? Doubly especially if he's helping them try to rescue the local adventurers? They might not like it, but I just can't see them forming a mob with torches, pitchforks and a rope!

I just trying to judge the level of "not liking it" I should run. So you'd say maybe some snickering and grumbling from a few people, but most people don't mind seeing a kobold eat in their inn? Maybe more curiosity than hostility?

fnork de sporg

First Post
I think the threat level of single kobold accompanied by well armed officials is relatively low. If they had come back with an ogre or something then I could see some angry mobs. Though if the town had been raided by kobolds before some people might be acting out of anger and revenge rather than fear.

Whimsical

Explorer
If you have a PC that has been putting ranks in the social skills, this would be a great time to put that Diplomacy check to work.

tzor

First Post
As mentioned meepo is a kobold and the town has an uneasty truce with goblins. Kobolds are so radically different from goblins that it is like hating cats because you were attacked by a dog. (or vice versa) Given this the best way to answer is to ask another question.

How many gnomes are in the town?
If there are many ... meepo be very afraid.
Otherwise probably neutral ... with small folk many is the problem, not one.

Klaus

First Post
If you go by the module, the kobolds stay underground all the time. This sentence "which is all the townspeople can bring themselves to pay a goblin" has me believe that the townsfolk thing of goblins as lowly creatures, and kobolds are below even that. So the townsfolk would probably stare at Meepo in contempt, as if the PCs had brought a diseased rat into town. Reprehensible, and offensive to most, but not inherently dangerous. The mayor will probably be more concerned about where Meepo came from, and what they are doing down there. Since the villagers have been trading with the goblins for years, the mention of a kobold/goblin war will bring about fears of the yearly magic fruit thing coming to an end.

Monty Tomasi

First Post
The townsfolk may be willing to deal with goblins once a year when they have to, but brining a monster in to their inn is a whole other matter.

- He could be a spy sent to gather information before a raid on the village
- The goblins may hear about and suspect that the villagers are planning to deal with kobolds instead of goblins, hence souring relations
- He could be carrying all kinds of diseases or simply be a bad omen
- The villagers may insist that the gods are angered by them giving shelter to a monster
- Can the party (in their injured state) guarantee that the rabid beast will not run amok attacking innocent villagers?
- Several loaves went missing the other day from the bakery and a small dog-like creature was seen scampering off (ok, a blatant lie but people tend to invent things when they see an easy scapegoat to blame)

Why should the villagers be favourable inclined towards the kobold? The PCs saying that it is an ally and that they vouch for it should simply not be enough. Everyone knows that kobolds are capricious beasts that are not to be trusted.

Throw the kobold in a pit and kill it with pitchforks from a safe distance. Then the villagers can each pat the other on the back for saving their loved ones from a monster and get back to enjoying some fine ale in the tavern. If the PCs protest, well they're just monster-lovers aint they? Best get in some real heroes who know how to deal with monsters.

Last edited:

Remove ads